What Halloween Candy I Would Be Friends With

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

With the hectic year that is 2020 and elections around the corner, I thought it’s time to take a step back and to think of something other than the chaos we call the world. Since Covid-19 is changing our original plans of having an amazing Halloween since it falls on a Saturday this year (ugh) I decided to channel my inner child. What was the most exciting part of Halloween? Trick-or- Treating! 

Since it is no longer acceptable for us to go out and get free candy, the absolute worst part of being an adult, I thought it would be fun to answer the question; “Which Halloween candy would I want to be friends with? Here are just a few classic Halloween candies I remember getting as a child and why, or why not they would end up on my friends list. 

1. Reese’s Pumpkins

First up, we have Reese’s Pumpkins. Now I may be biased, but these are obviously the best. I picture Reese’s Pumpkins as the Harry Styles of the Halloween Candies. They don’t have to try hard because they are the perfect candy, I mean they are pumpkins, WHO WOULDN’T want to eat a pumpkin during Halloween time?! Reese’s are already the superior candy, but put them in pumpkin form- everyone wants a piece, especially me. I mean candy of course… 10/10 would be their friend and would support a Halloween album if they ever released one. 

2. KitKats

Now when I think of KitKats in human form, I think of the two twins at school who are INSEPARABLE. They wear the same clothes, date the same boy, have the same personality. It’s like two for the price of one. I’ve always wanted a twin sister, so who am I to judge? And if one twin is sick, you can still hang out with the other. Unless they are both sick, then you would be all alone at school. Hmmm. Yes I would be friends with them, but they wouldn’t be my only friends. 

3. Nerds

I mean, c’mon, this is pretty self explanatory. They are nerds. Now when you are in school everyone is always like, “ewww, nerds.” but what they don’t tell you is nerds grow up to be the ones who are marriage material. So while everyone is dissing the Nerds, I will be sitting right next to them, laughing at all their math jokes that I do not understand. 

4. Sour Patch Kids

First they’re sour, then they are sweet. I would say Sour Patch kids are the people who are misunderstood. They are quiet, keep to themselves, look like they hate the world, act like it too, but really they just need a good friend to talk to them and let them know the world is not against them. Definitely invite them to my sleepover and have deep conversations where we ball our eyes out. 

5. Candy Corn

Aww yes, the most controversial Halloween candy there ever was. Candy Corn is that person who the second one leaf changes colors, they put out all of their fall decorations and posts on social media “sweater weather” lol. They pull out their sweaters and blankets and sit happily sweating to death, but still happy that Halloween is right around the corner. The type of person who has their Halloween costume picked out since November 1st the year before. I can’t even be mad at their dedication. If they are this dedicated to a season, imagine how dedicated they would be to a person. Definitely my bff. 

6. York Peppermint Patties

And finally, York Peppermint Patties. You don’t appreciate these until you are older. The smooth chocolate and the strong mint flavor you get when you take the first bite. A reminder that Christmas is near. This person is always happy, full of light and joyus things. Everytime you look at them you get happy, like looking at Christmas lights, and their voice sounds like a Christmas angel. And who doesn’t love Christmas? I would love this person more than anything in this world. Another true friend. There for you to remind you of the light that is just ahead when you are on a dark path. Highly Recommended.

I’d like to thank my incredible roommate, Loryn, for helping me with this article, you’re the best.

Edna is a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. She is majoring in Travel Industry Management with an emphasis in Hospitality management. She aspires to be an event planner specializing in weddings. She loves dogs, the sunshine, exploring the island, and trying all kinds of new foods.