christmas music
christmas music
Original photo by Brianne Petrone

Unofficial Ranking of the Top 10 Best Christmas Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

I’m the type of person that has only one specific playlist that’s used around the holiday season to torture bless my friends and family with during every Christmas. It is a compilation of some of the most popular Christmas songs from Christmases past and present. For your enjoyment this holiday season, I’ve ranked some of the most popular and classic Christmas songs. Happy Holidays!

Number 10

“Wonderful Christmastime” by Paul McCartney is the 10th best Christmas song. It’s a good Christmas song and it has that cool synth bit going on. The only issue with this song is that some people absolutely hate the cool synth bit, so that unfortunately brings Wonderful Christmastime to number 10.

Number 9

“Winter Wonderland” by Tony Bennett is the 9th best song on this list. I like this song because it is an absolute classic, and just about everyone knows the words. I am taking points off for it being a rather slow song, so Winter Wonderland lands firmly at number 9 on the list.

Number 8

The Jackson Five’s “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” is the 8th best Christmas song. Their take on this Christmas classic is great, and literally everyone loves this song. The only reason it is so low on the list is because some Christmas songs just have a little more oomph to them than this particular song.

Number 7

Brenda Lee’s “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” is number 7 on this list. This song reminds me so much of my childhood Christmas celebrations, but I feel like the songs higher up on this list hit a little bit harder.

Number 6

Ariana Grande’s “Santa Baby” is number 6 on my list. Honestly, all of her Christmas songs are fantastic. There is only one reason why this song is as low as it is, and that is because the next few songs are just absolute bops.

Number 5

Any of Michael Bublé’s Christmas songs qualify for spot number 5! They are all just so good, and such amazing covers of Christmas classics.

Number 4

The Jackson Five makes their second appearance on this list with their song “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.” This song makes me laugh every time I hear it.

Number 3

“Feliz Navidad” by José Feliciano is such a bop. I remember learning this song in 3rd grade with my whole class, and it was such a fun time. This song always brings me good vibes.

Number 2

The Christmas Queen makes her appearance. Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You” is the number 2 song on the list. This song is just about everyone else’s favorite Christmas song, and honestly, I totally get it. Mariah’s Christmas songs are classic Christmas songs.

Number 1

Wham!’s “Last Christmas” is the best Christmas song ever. I know that this is a controversial choice. But this song gives me everything I need for the perfect Christmas song. It has the mid-eighties vibe, the cool electronic-piano-sounding bit, and a catchy chorus.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

Shae Walker

Hawaii '23

Shae currently studies Communications at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa and is the Campus Correspondent for HCHawai'i. In her spare time, Shae likes to listen to music, hike, and cook.