The Top 5 Hotel Pools in Waikiki

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Living in Hawaii brings the temptation of playing tourist for a day at any of the many hotels and resorts. This spring break, take it to another level and skip the Hilton Hawaiian Village, a basic for any beginning pool-hopper. Here are five of the best options for spending a day away from home this break. 

1. Trump International Hotel & Tower Waikiki Beach Walk: The Trump trumps all when it comes to stay-cation destinations. Located on the sixth floor is a heated infinity pool that expands across the lanai and is opposite the Wai’olu Ocean View Lounge. There is poolside service or drinks from the lounge can be brought over to the pool deck. What sets this pool area apart is the hot tub. Most other hot tubs in Waikiki should have quotations marks around the word “hot,” but the Trump delivers with near-scalding (in a pleasant way) water. Removed from the main Waikiki strip, the Trump provides a sophisticated experience without being overcrowded.

2. Sheraton Waikiki: Overlooking the beach, Sheraton Waikiki has a collection of pools for those who wish to take a dip. Choose from the two fresh water pools (water slide included), enjoy the view from the Edge of Waikiki infinity pool or warm up in one of the hot tubs. However, the selling point for the Sheraton is RumFire. Placed in between the main pool and the infinity pool, the recently renovated RumFire is the perfect place to indulge. The open layout stretches towards both pools with cushy outdoor seating and is ideal for watching the sunset with pupus and cocktails. HCHI favorites are the Scorched Strawberry and Kalua Pork Nachos. But beware, the Sheraton is set in the heart of Waikiki and as a consequence is always crowded and overrun with children. 

3. Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk: Adjacent to the Trump, the Embassy Suites pool has an expansive deck with plenty of furniture for lounging activities. If the pattern has not yet become clear, what qualifies a pool as one of the best directly corresponds to the availability and proximity of alcohol. The winning factor for the Embassy Suites is the Pakini Pool Bar. Positioned in the corner of the pool deck, the bar enables guests to get the maximum amount of sunlight while appreciating the food and drinks offered. 

4. The Modern Honolulu: The Modern pool experience can be had on two levels. The all ages Sunrise Pool is one level below the adult Sunset Pool, but both are equipped with services to provide cocktails and food. The Sunset Pool is best suited for lazing in luxury in one of the daybeds or hammocks, or rubbing your feet in the sand surrounding the pool. The Sunrise Pool is adorned with white and wooden furniture. Later in the day, expect live music to accompany your Modern stay-cation.

5. Halekulani: The five-star Halekulani has a pool to match. The deep blue oval pool lays in the center of the deck. At the bottom of the pool is an orchid mosaic, creating a majestic view for those sunbathing on the side. As with all five-star hotels, poolside service is available. However, this pristine lagoon is only lacking in one department: there are no hot tubs. Spend the day at Halekulani and then move on to another location to warm up at night. 

Alaskan grown, this collegiette studies Communications, Sociology, and Japanese at the University of Hawai'i. She has a passion for music, a recently rekindled love of writing, and truly believes there is nothing better than the four B's: books, boys, booze, and the beach.