Wellness > Health

5 Tips to Have Fun this Halloween During the COVID-19 Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

It’s that time of year again, Halloween is just around the corner. The leaves start changing and the weather starts getting nippy. Oh whoops, I’m not on the east coast anymore! Here in Hawai’i, it is mostly summer the whole year. The weather has cooled down just a tad and it has been a little bit rainier, but not considered a real autumn. This doesn’t stop the Halloween fun here in Hawai’i though. We are still going through a pandemic, so celebrating Halloween this year will look a little different.

Here are some tips to have fun & stay safe this Halloween!

Pumpkin Carving

Pumpkin carving is personally my FAVORITE Halloween activity. Grab some pumpkins, a pumpkin carving kit (to avoid any visits to the ER), & your creativity. Carve the pumpkins with your roommates or host a pumpkin-carving contest over zoom. When you finish carving, put lite candles in your pumpkins and leave them outside for your neighbors to enjoy too!

Oh, and don’t forget to roast the seeds for a yummy fall snack!

VIrtual halloween Movie MArathon

Host a Halloween themed movie marathon with your friends over zoom! Get cozy and snuggled up in your bed, make some Halloween themed treats, and enjoy watching your favorite Halloween movies with your friends. Netflix has a great tool to watch movies with friends called Teleparty.

Costume Party

If you want to stay home, setting up a fun zoom costume party with your friends is a great idea. Put on a fun, halloween playlist, get on your spooktacular costume and show off to the camera. Awarding prizes to the best looks! Do you really want to see your friends?? Try having a halloween costume party outdoors. The CDC recommends that small, outdoor gatherings are a lot more safe than attending an event indoors. Maybe you’re lucky and you have a friend that has a large backyard you can be spooky at. If you’re like me and not so lucky, meeting up at a park is a great place to show off your costumes too!

Attending a party indoors? Try incorporating your mask into your spooky costume!

Handout Candy for trick or treaters

The CDC sent out the OK for trick or treating this year. If you live in a neighborhood with lots of kids, handing out candy is a fun idea! Put out some wicked decorations and grab some candy from the store and you’re good to go! Grab your roommates and head outside to set up your candy grabbing station. If you’re more comfortable not handing out the candy yourself due to social distancing, set up a candy station and watch all of the cool costumes from afar.

Head to a Pumpkin patch

You need pumpkins for pumpkin carving right? Luckily, pumpkin patches are open this year. Grab a few friends and head to a farm. Two great places on O’ahu include Waimanalo and Aloun farms. Make sure to check the farms’ website before you go because they have to follow COVID protocols and most will require reservations. To ensure safety they have social distancing protocols and mask requirements.

Even if you stay in this Halloween, it doesn’t mean you won’t have the spookiest and most memorable Halloween! Follow any of these tips to celebrate this fall even through the pandemic or grabs some friends & get creative. Happy Halloween!!

Averi Burud

Hawaii '22

Avid surfer & current student studying Sustainability at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.