There’s More to Astrology Than Just Your Sun Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Sure you know your sun sign, but did you know that there are other signs that have an impact on your personality? You have a whole birth chart that determines certain aspects of your personality (that’s if you believe in it)! There are two other main signs that can affect your personality: your moon sign and your rising sign. You can find your whole birth chart including your sun, moon, and rising sign by inputting your birth date, time, and place here. 

What does your moon sign represent?

Your moon sign is the “inner you.” It has everything to do with your emotions. It’s how you deal with your emotions, how you express them, and more. Your moon sign is determined by where the moon was in the sky when you were born. According to Astro Style, “The moon moves into a different sign every 2-3 days.” Your moon sign is the sign that comes out when you get vulnerable with others. Moon signs also play a huge role in your romantic compatibility, so be sure to check that when considering a “significant other.”

If you scroll down on this website, you can find your moon sign and read more about it. 

What does your rising sign represent?

Your rising sign is the personality that everyone see’s from your exterior before people get to know the real you. This is the “outer you.” Your rising sign is also known as your ascendent sign. Astro Style explains that your rising sign is “the sign that was rising over the eastern horizon when you were born. It can have an effect on your appearance, your attitude, and the way you come across to others.” Since rising signs can change every two hours, it’s important to know your exact time of birth in order to get an accurate reading. 

Personally, I have found that my moon and rising signs were quite accurate. If you find that you don’t identify with everything about your sign sun, consider looking into your moon and rising signs – these have a significant affect on your personality. Your moon sign is your emotions and your soul. Having a very opposite sign for your moon sign (compared to your sun sign), can create a sort of balance. Your rising sign is what others see you as. Your personality can either be toned down or empowered through both your moon and rising signs. 

For example, let’s say your sun sign is a Pisces. Pisces are water signs, making them emotional beings. People of this sign are said to be reserved, sensitive, and dreamy people. But what if your rising sign is an air sign like a Gemini? Air signs are said to be less emotional. They use their heads more than their hearts. They are also more extroverted than water signs. If you are a Pisces Sun with a Gemini rising, others may at first, think that you are extremely extroverted and social, but later come to find out that maybe you’re not. In addition to this, you could have a fire sign as your moon sign. If your moon sign is a Leo, you may find yourself expressing your emotions in dramatic and artistic ways. You may be very confident about yourself on the inside, but your Pisces sun may prevent you from showing this to strangers. 

There are many different combinations of sun, moon, and rising signs. You can read about your particular sun and moon combination here and read about your rising sign here. If you would like to do more research on moon and rising signs or astrology in general, there are many books that offer in-depth information. Don’t be afraid to dive-in to astrology if you are seeking to learn more about yourself, others, and your relationship with others! Here are some recommended books for astrology by Gary Goldschneider:

Ashley is a graduate of UH Manoa. She has her BA in English and is interested in creative non-fiction, poetry, travel writing, and journalism. She is a freelance writer, a previous editorial intern for Hawaii Home + Remodeling Magazine, and a previous features writer for her campus newspaper, Ka Leo O Hawaii. Her goal is to become an editor or an editorial assistant or a full-time travel writer. On her free time, she enjoys spending time with her dog, blogging, writing poetry, and reading! Check out Ashley's writing portfolio at ashleyinsong.com
Hawaii Contributor Account