The Enneagram Takes A Bus Ride To Moordale High

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

What started as a sex-crazed opening montage and ended as an emotional goodbye, the new season of Sex Education was arguably one of my favorite watches of 2021. The romances, the storylines, the soundtrack – it was well worth the wait. But there’s one thing we need to acknowledge: the character growth. Each recurring character (or at least, most) came back with a new realization or a level of maturity that we’ve never seen. So, in honor of that, I figured it was time to re-evaluate our favorite high school students and see what enneagram they are.

This article contains minor spoilers for season three.

TYPE 1 – THE REFORMER

The type one in Viv came out strong in season three. One of Moordale’s best students, she is responsible, self-disciplined, and serious. She spends her time at Moordale focused just on academics, not the typical ‘high school experience’ that the untouchables have. Type ones crave the need to be right and values perfection, seeking this out from Moordale’s new headteacher, Hope. Viv is constantly striving to do more and more to improve herself in order to get into university, even if that means being a bit critical of others at times and putting her friendship with Jackson on the back burner.

TYPE 2 – THE HELPER

Our vagina cupcake and goat loving queen, Aimee Gibbs. She’s all about warmth and unconditional love, so type twos will see a reflection of themselves on screen through Aimee. You probably go out of your way to show people love, and you’re optimistic. But because you’re so emotional, you might have people-pleasing tendencies and ignore your own needs just to please others. Aimee got a “commitment goat” (where was that when I needed it?) to help mend her and Steve’s relationship and avoids breaking up with him at all costs. You can’t help but just want to bake with her.

TYPE 3 – THE ACHIEVER

Sorry, type three’s – but you’re a Hope (hopefully not as bad.) This new headteacher was introduced to viewers in season three and quickly became seen as driven, results-orientated, and caring a lot about her image. While your work ethic and passion is there, you might be a bit too competitive and obsessed with your image. Type threes are also referred to as a chameleon because they attempt to change everything about themselves to fit into the audience they’re trying to impress.

Friendly reminder, type three: you are valued. And please, take a break sometime soon.

TYPE 4 – THE INDIVIDUALIST

You probably would have hated this answer before season three came out, but after Adam’s growth, all I gotta say is *chef’s kiss.* Adam Groff is a man of mystery, but he’s sensitive and introspective, trying to be a better person for everyone around him – and himself. In season three, Adam began celebrating his newly discovered sexuality and seeing the better side to life, and love. Type fours are said to thrive when they have the space to engage in their creative impulses, which seems like quite the good pairing with our type seven.

TYPE 5 – THE INVESTIGATOR

This might be an unpopular one, but I see a type five side to Lily. She enjoys her alone time and is curious. Lily breaks every status quo there is. As a type five, you might feel the same as her and always dig deeper for meanings instead of just settling for explanations. When not doing great, type fives typically resort to withdrawing and being distant, which we saw in season three. A career that you might see a type five in is writing, which seems fitting, doesn’t it?

TYPE 6 – THE LOYALIST

If you’re a type six, then you’re Ola. Type sixes are empathetic at heart and you can trust them. In season three we see Ola struggle with missing her mother when her father is having a baby with Jean, showing an emotional side that was new to the viewers. She cares about her loved ones and devotes herself to those relationships. I think we all need an Ola in our lives.

TYPE 7 – THE ENTHUSIAST

I think we all know who the enthusiast is – fan favorite, Eric Effiong, aka tromboner, aka E-man. And it’s more than just his bright outfits and dazzling makeup looks that make him the enthusiast. Just like Eric, type sevens seek adventure, are fun-loving, and want to be present. Eric is proud of who he is and doesn’t apologize for any of it. He wants to get as much fun out of life as possible, including those spontaneous romances and exciting dates.

TYPE 8 – THE CHALLENGER

Confrontational, intense, strong: all things Maeve Wiley. Type eights are known to avoid expressing vulnerability but are protective, just like we see Maeve with her little sister. She might be intense, but there’s a lot of love to be given underneath her tough exterior – just don’t break her trust. We’ve seen that soft side come out a little more each season, but there’s still that intimidating side I’m hoping will break in season four. If you’re a type eight, know that its okay to show weakness.

TYPE 9 – THE PEACEMAKER

Type nines strive for peace and are skilled in listening. Sound familiar? Maybe he learns it from his sex therapist mom, or maybe it’s just him. Either way, if you’re a type nine, you’re Otis Milburn. Otis is known to make efforts to bring peace to his community, whether that’s from ending a chlamydia crisis or solving relationship problems. His peers feel comfortable around him and while he’s still evolving, he’s become more self-aware over the series. I mean, can we talk about his empathy towards Hope in the last episode despite all of the terrible things she did? I gotta say, I felt like a proud mom watching that scene.