This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Like many others, one of my favorite aspects about the University of Hawai’i at Manoa campus is the flora. There are currently more than 6000 plants in 700 species – something unique about UH. So regardless of where you’re at on campus, you’ll be surrounded by beautiful flora and views. As I’m about to graduate from undergrad, I’ve spent enough time on campus to know the best spots for nature and views. In honor of Earth Day, I’ve compiled a list of my top three spots on campus to enjoy what Hawai’i has to offer.

The stairwell

If you’re a UHM student, you’ve probably passed this spot without even realizing it. This spot is at the very top of the stairwell between Johnson Hall and Gateway Hall that leads to the tennis courts. The sunsets I’ve seen from this spot? The best. Seriously. Since this stairway is so high up, you can go to different levels to watch the sunset. From this spot, you’re able to look over the city, the tennis courts, the softball field, and Diamond Head. It’s always been my favorite spot to stop by on the way back from dinner, or to clear my head during a bad day.

Japanese tea garden

Located behind the East-West center, this is the perfect spot for a little getaway from the busy campus. A garden with a koi pond and a tea house next to it, this spot is perfect to celebrate Earth Day. One of the reasons why I love this space is because of how serene it is. You might see a few students here doing yoga or journaling, but every time I’ve visited, there’s only been two or three students. It’s easy to get caught up in campus life, doing homework, or going out, so this is the spot to go to when you need to take a breather.

LYON ARBORETUM

This might not be on campus, but I think it is definitely worthy of being on my list. Lyon Arboretum is a public botanical garden that is part of a research unit of UH. Filled with hiking trails and plants, the arboretum also offers volunteer opportunities, public programs, and is free! As stated, Lyon Arboretum has “over 6,000 taxa of tropical and sub-tropical plants throughout our grounds, and more are stored “behind the scenes” in our seed lab and micropropagation lab.” In the back of Manoa Valley, the garden is a short trip away from campus.

Want to identify and learn about a mysterious plant? Check out UH’s online Plant Finder!