Songs to make you feel like the main character.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

I don’t know about you, but sometimes when I feel like there’s a grey cloud hovering above me like a pesky, spirit-dampening bad omen, all I need to do is shove my arm into my backpack to fish out my airpods hidden deep within the chaos that is the contents of my backpack and hit play on a good playlist. Within no time, you’ll catch me strutting down the street at a frighteningly brisk pace. This is purely because Taylor Swift’s anthems transport me into another dimension (or directly onto stage with her, where I’m singing about the heart-wrenching ridiculousness of my last relationship). Here are some of my favourite bangers to put a stopper in your foul mood, and provide you with ample opportunity to embody the main character for however long you feel is necessary to pull you out of your wallowing.

• All You Had To Do Was Stay– Taylor Swift (because, who else?)

This song is just a banger, whether you can relate or not. This is the song for you if you’re fresh out of a breakup. A slightly toxic one. Although, most breakups have a splash of toxicity in them, whether mutuality was a basis for it or not. So, I suppose it’s for all breakups. Taylor’s voice just makes me feel like nothing can touch me for these 3 minutes and 13 seconds.

• Come and get it – John Newman

I heard this one in the San Francisco airport and, girl, was I strutting my stuff in that bookstore. I had the eyes of posh businessmen and haughty old women fixated on my fierce dance moves as I felt their glares burning holes in my back. This song just deserves to be blasted on the speakers of any large event or gathering.

• Heart Attack – Demi Lovato

Another throwback anthem. You just can’t go wrong with this song. It fills my body with main character energy and just channels all the good vibes.

• Breakfast at Tiffany’s – Deep Blue Something

Another classic. When the chrorus for this song drops, It feels like I’m a character in a coming-of-age movie, almost like I’m Kat in 10 things I hate about you. It should definitely be the song that plays when Charlie, Sam and Patrick are driving in the final scene of The Perks of Being a Wallflower –  you know, the ‘we are infinite’ scene.

• On My Way – Phil Collins

I felt exactly like Kenai did in Brother Bear as he embarked on his adventure to go find the northern lights when I flew from South Africa to Hawai’I (a trip that involves over 30 hours of flying and 2 full days of traveling) to start my university chapter. You can’t help but to feel a grin bloom on your face when you listen to this. Also scores a 10/10 when rated as a roadtrip song. Just puts you in a good mood.

• September – Earth, Wind and Fire

I suppose this mention is a shoutout to my girlfriend. It’s her favourite song – she does have incredible music taste, though, and this song carried the impeccable vibe throughout many of our long drives together. It’s just a feel-good, family- and karaoke-friendly song.

• The Way It Is – Bruce Hornsby & The Range

This song just pulls together all of the elements that makes songs good. The initial piano riff, the bop-inducing drums, the smooth alto tones of Bruce Hornsby. *Chef’s kiss*. This song played when a handful of colleagues and myself were dancing in a pub in the south of England after knocking back a couple of pints. Picture what it looks like when England wins the soccer (aka. ‘football’) world cup. That’s exactly what our crowd of overjoyed, red-cheeked people looked like, just a little more chill because of the old-school vibes of the song.

• Ms Jackson (Radio Mix) – Outkast

Outkast is always a good idea. This song, filled with synths and piano riffs hit all the right spots. They scratch an itch I didn’t know I had. Knowing the rap to this song will make you feel like a legendary member of Outkast. It’s just four minutes of pure serotonin.

• Bachelorette’s on Broadway – Willie Jones

Now, I’ve never been someone for country music. But this song had your girl converted in SECONDS. It’s a pop song with a touch of country influence and just brings all of the summer vacation vibes. Whenever I hear it, it conjures up images of my girlfriend’s smile, cocktails on sandy-beach sunshine with my sister, and my last roadtrip with the girls. If you’re driving (alone or with anyone who can tolerate your singing), crank this song up and belt it out. With your chest.

• Sheluvme – Tai Verdes

Anything by Tai Verdes is undoubtedly going to make you feel like you’re watching a sunset or laughing with your best friends or getting an A on a quiz you thought you were going to fail. His music just puts me in the best mood and makes me feel like I’m eating my favourite flavour of ice cream while watching my favourite film with my favourite people. This song is particularly good if you’re on cloud 9, relationship wise (think honeymoon phase). If this song was a person I would introduce it as ‘Happy-go-lucky’.

• Bonus mention: Party in the USA – Miley Cyrus

This is my ‘unhinged white girl’ karaoke song. Every single negative vibe vanishes from my cells as soon as I hear the first chord. 1000000/10. Nothing will stop me in my pursuit to scream every word in this song.

Jess McEwan

Hawaii '26

Hi everyone! I am a freshman studying Global Environmental Science – and I never even dreamed I'd be doing this in Hawai'i. I am from South Africa and I love hiking, reading, adventures (in any shape or form), the ocean and finding or making good (vegan) food with my friends.