Shop Cyber Monday Like a Boss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

If you are against acknowledging that Christmas exists before Thanksgiving even starts, hate black Friday shopping or simply hate putting pants on – we’re with you. That’s why Her Campus Hawaii is bringing you these tips for shopping online. Fill up your carts and confirm your orders ladies, who said Mondays were so bad?

Be careful about how you shop online

While it might seem fun to go from site to site buying things, pay attention to the security of each site you are visiting. Be weary of pop-ups and offers that appear while shopping informing you of some virus your computer has or an amazing deal (too good to be true). If you see these sites, close the window and try elsewhere – chances are you can find it again (maybe at a better deal). Additionally, try sticking to one or two debit or credit cards (if you have more), incase a thief gets a hold of your information. That way you won’t be dead broke!

Compare prices

The great thing about shopping online is that there are no annoying sales people watching you constantly and you don’t have to feel bad when you leave the store looking for the same thing for a better price. Before you buy, visit a price comparison website like Google Shopping, PriceGrabber or Shopzilla. These sites compare all the prices of what you’re looking for to make sure you are getting the best deal possible!

Have a plan

Prepare for the items that you want to buy to be sold out. Have a plan B (or plan C) incase this happens so that way you don’t waste time trying to come up with said plan B. Know which stores you will buy what items from so that way you will be able to be thrifty but quick too. If the price is higher at your second-choice store, check to see if they will match the price from your first-choice store.

Look for coupons

Upon checking out, if you see a promo code box do a quick search online to see if you can find a code. Typing “store name promo code” into Google, or check a website similar to Savings.com or Retailmenot.com. These sites post codes that could get you free shipping, merchandise or even some percent off your order. If you can, try stacking codes to get extra deals at checkout!

Keep your receipts

Take screen shots and flag email copies of receipts. If anything goes south, like your item goes missing or if there is damage (or if something arrives that isn’t what you asked for), these receipts will be your proof of purchase. Before you check out, read up on the return terms and condition, as well as shipping coverage. Some stores let you return items if you change your mind for free while many other don’t. Be aware of these before checking out!

Just like Black Friday, it’s the survival of the fittest out there – so get up early to get the best of those deals. And remember, just because it’s on sale doesn’t mean you need to buy it. May the odds be ever in your favor!

Zebley Foster is a senior at University of Hawaii at Manoa. She is getting her major in journalism and a minor in English. In her free time she dances salsa, reads books, writes, and of course: goes to the beach!
Shiina LoSciuto is a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa studying journalism and communications. She someday hopes to be a TV talk show host, as well as become BFFs with Taylor Swift. In her free time she is taking naps or obsessing over the show Scandal.