This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

H&M’s She’s a Lady ad campaign that announces their 2016 autumn collection, and allegedly “broke the internet,” was released exactly 2 years ago today. So, if you haven’t watched it yet, take a minute to do so NOW.

I hadn’t seen the commercial until last week—but I wish I’d seen it sooner. The ad breaks boundaries and pushes the social standards people have set for us.

H&M featured women of all shapes, sizes, colors, sexual orientations, social status’, and mindsets. We see women with shaved heads, a woman who is suspected by some sources to be transgender. We see women who are white, black, Asian, Hispanic. We see women embracing their differences. All of the women cast are unique, fearless, strong, independent women. They are empowering to women everywhere.

We live in a society where people are judged for not looking a specific way or acting in a specific way. Whether it be extra curves, dreaming big, or an out-of-the-box fashion statement, we are told to embrace our differences, to go against the grain and create our own paths. Yet, when we do so, we are criticized because we don’t fit into our society’s unrealistic mold. Therefore, although released 2 years ago, H&M’s commercial was a breath of fresh air—even in 2018.

Since the commercial aired, we have begun to see more diversity in the media. Examples include, the recent body positive movement that has been taking over social media and Crazy Rich Asians, “the first Hollywood film in 25 years to feature a majority Asian cast.” However, we still have a long way to go.

As someone who is not typically filled with confidence, I felt confident, inspired, and empowered after watching the advertisement. I felt like I could take on the world. So, if all it takes for me to feel these things is some retail-therapy at H&M, sign me up! Oh, and catch me listening to “She’s a Lady” for the next week.

Hailey is a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and is pursuing a double major in marketing and international business, with a minor in fashion design merchandising. She is one of our Campus Correspondents here at Hawaii Her Campus and she's an active member of Alpha Gamma Delta. Hailey loves going to the beach with friends, hiking, and taking pictures!