This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Are you an open-minded girl with a driving desire to explore? Perhaps a meme or gif caught your eye or attention. Maybe something you heard Neil deGrasse Tyson say about our Universe resonated with you. Maybe your roommate or newest BFF is obsessed with a series and it got you thinking about getting faded one night and just going for it. Or perhaps you’ve always been sci-fi curious and wanted to wait to get to college to experiment. I compiled a short list of a few sci-fi (or as our classier and nerdier friends might say speculative fiction) movies and shows you can stream and dip your toe into.

And like any girl experimenting, we know to take it slow and easy, we wouldn’t want to scare anyone away. So, nothing as big as Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. Who, or Stargate on this list. Just a few gems, some more recognizable than others that mix Science Fiction with good drama, humor, and story-telling. Below are five, a mere handful, but enough to either whet your appetite or honestly be able to say “I tried it” when asked about it in the future. Pick one that interests you and give it a go.

Battle Star Galactica (Hulu), A miniseries aired as two 90-minute episodes (2003), 75 episodes (2004)

Synopsis:

The series takes place off-Earth. There are twelve colonial settlements with respective planets and cities. Interstellar travel is possible as is the creation of elegant AI. So much so, that a war with their Cylons (robots) had reached armistice a few decades back. Leading to the departure of the Cylons, who had not been heard from since. Well, until the beginning of the mini-series, of course.

Why it’s on this list:

This is a pretty-great property to get started on. You can watch the miniseries as a hefty three-hour movie. If you want to know more, you can follow up with the series which has a finite end and conclusion. This show has so much heart, drama, and emotion. Commander Adama is pretty much everyone’s dad. Hell, I got a few lessons my own dad missed from Adama. There are super dope starship fights and enough heartbreak to take you from invested to addicted. For my shallower friends, there’s plenty of eye-candy to go around no matter which side of the Y you hail from. Personal note, the blonde Cylon in this…just all the eye-heart and sploosh emojis for her shiny toaster buns.

Black Mirror (Netflix), Ongoing tv series, currently 19 episodes up to season 4. (2011-)

Synopsis:

Each episode takes place in the near future. Often dealing with our technology and the effects on our society and our humanity. The tech-stuff ranges from events that could happen in the fantastical world of next Tuesday, to a few decades down the line. The type of television that can inspire thought and conversations. Spoiler alert: Expect some downers

Why it’s on the list:

It’s a British show with many recognizable faces if one fancies entertainment from that side of the pond. Each episode is stand-alone, so there are satisfying conclusions to each story, every time you sit to watch. Trigger warning: if you’re Vegan you may want to skip right to the second episode. Since they’re independent, you won’t miss anything except some deep cringe.

Firefly/Serenity (Hulu), 14 episodes, 1 movie (2002-2003, 2005)

Synopsis:

Set about five hundred years in the future. There is a colony in a distant galaxy ruled by an empire intent on keeping power and order. Some of our heroes were on the losing side of the empire’s war a few years back. We follow the adventures and misadventures of Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his crew: There’s a girl with freaky powers experimented on and chased by the empire, her protective and charmingly befuddled doctor brother, the cutest starship mechanic that could make your dad looks like he knows nothing about vehicles that you’ve ever seen, a badass trusted second-in-command since the war, her husband the genius pilot and voice of #Concern, a gorgeous legal prostitute with more social clout than the rest of the crew combined, a big walking slab of toxic-masculinity that occasionally needs to be whacked on the nose, and a preacher with a shady past and a gift at throwing much needed shade. Sadly, the show was canceled before its time and brought to an emotional conclusion with the follow-up movie.

Why it’s on the list:

This was the show I would hear more people obsess over than any other when sci-fi gems came up in conversation over the years. I even put it off for years myself. This will leave you wanting more, but that says something about the quality.

Rick and Morty(Hulu) Ongoing tv series, 31 episodes up to season 3. (2013-) Animated

Synopsis:

Grandpa Rick, his teenage grandson and most common adventure companion Morty, and the rest of the Smith family get into shenanigans that use Steven Hawking’s a Brief History of Time as Lego pieces to construct brilliant and hilarious stories, from the ridiculous to the remarkable. Insanely quotable and while it doesn’t teach anything, per se, it can inspire one towards STEM fields with its reverence for Science. The silly animation adds a dash of disassociation from some of the dark, raw, or emotional topics. From fart joke to a poignant commentary on mental health issues.

Why it’s on this list:

Worth a watch. Heavy on the science references and intentionally goofy names. A lot of layers. Irreverent at times and relevant at others. Very reflecting characters, though Jerry is just the worst. #neverdateaJerry

The Twilight Zone (Netflix) 156 episodes (1959-1964)

Synopsis: Stand alone episodes, most with a sci-fi vibe and often with a clever twist. Heavy on the story-telling, minimal on the special effects due to the era it was produced.

Why it’s on this list:

This is an OG. This is where many sci-fi movies, tv, books, and assorted media got their inspiration or straight up got their material from. While dated it ages well, and you’ll recognize the references to episodes in tons of stuff from The Simpsons to Bridesmaids to Gilmore Girls. Easy to pick up and put down. Also, the vintage of the show and its cultural impact make me feel like a classy lady; pinky up and a wink kind of classy.

I'm a pre-med student at the University of Hawaii with a passion for helping people, lipstick, coffee, and sunshine!
Avery Nueva is currently a candidate for a B.A. Communications degree at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. She is also pursuing a certificate in Travel Industry Management. Originally from Southern California, Avery has found a second home here at UH Manoa. In addition to being a Correspondent for Her Campus Hawaii, she served as the Vice President of Recruitment and President of the Panhellenic Council. She is a member of the Delta Sigma chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta and the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she is not out getting boba or sushi with friends, Avery loves to explore all that Hawaii has to offer.