This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Just a quick FYI, the 2018 Winter Olympics are over. Don’t worry, if you missed it, here are all of the important things that happened.

The 2018 Winter Olympics were held in PyeongChang, South Korea from February 8th and concluded on the 25th. The Olympics started off with a jaw dropping Opening Ceremony. My favorite part of the ceremony were the synchronized drones (1,218 drones to be exact) that created amazing light displays in the cold winter sky.

In my opinion, the ceremony focused a lot on acceptance and inclusion, which was a very noticeable theme in the Olympic Games this year. A great example of growing tolerance between North and South Korea was them marching as one during the parade of nations under a unified Korea flag. However, the Olympic Opening Ceremony lacked chill as security guards dragged a selfie-taking-Olympic-crasher after he jumped on stage and wandered around for a bit, snapping a few pictures.

Surprisingly, red coat man was not the only Olympic Crasher during the games. My other favorite crasher wore a tutu and not much else during his five minutes of fame at the Men’s Speed Skating Event.

Here are five more amazing, funny, and weird things that happened during the Winter Olympics.

1. A walkie talkie tried to go for gold as it slid down a snowy mountain. Want to watch a ton of workers on skis trying to stop it? Here you go.
  2. The first 2 openly gay US Olympic athletes competed, and they became the ultimate #BestFriendGoals. Adam Rippon competed as a male figure skater helping Team USA win a bronze medal and Gus Kenworthy competed as a slopestyle skier for Team USA.
  3. North Korea sent hundreds of cheerleaders that others referred to as “The Army of Beauties,” who were chosen because they were young, beautiful, and North Korean citizens. These women were forced to attend the Olympics, sing and dance during their country’s competitions, and were sent back to North Korea afterwards and cannot speak of what they saw or did at the Olympics.
  4. We watched Shaun White win yet another gold medal for snowboarding. Shaun then watched how his fans reacted to his victory and it made my heart so happy. Check out how adorable it is here.
  5. Chloe Kim was #relatable to every beauty lover when she refused to cry after she won a gold medal in the Women’s Halfpipe Event. She also loves dogs and has a lifetime supply of Skittles, which literally makes her America’s “SWEETheart”.Team USA came in fourth place for the country medal count with 9 gold medals and a total of 23 medals overall. For all of the of the competing countries’ medal counts, check out this site

The Olympic Torch flame has officially been extinguished, see ya in Tokyo for the 2020 Summer Olympics!

SaveSave

I matter. You matter. We matter.
Lena is a student at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa. She is pursuing a Communciations degree with a focus in Digital Media, as well as dual minors in Business and English. In her free time, she loves being president of her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and snorkeling on the weekends!