A Recap of the 2014 Grammy’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Whether or not you watched the Grammys this year, you’ve more than likely heard about or seen some of its memorable moments. The 56th Annual Grammy Awards took place at the Staple Center and provided us with a steamy duet from Beyoncé and Jay-Z, the on-stage marriages of 34 couples, awkward moments from Taylor Swift, and an interesting performance from Lorde. Here is a recap of the night’s most memorable moments. 

1) Drunk in Love.

Beyoncé and Jay-Z did not disappoint with their flashy, and sexy show opener.

2) Daft Punk and Pharrell Williams.

Both artists never fail to provide a fun performance that keeps you on your feet. With the addition of Stevie Wonder and Nile Rodgers, there was no stopping this performance of “Get Lucky.” 

3) Those awkward T-Swift moves.

We can all agree that Taylor Swift has had her fair share of awkward moments since stepping into the lime light. From excessive head banging to mistakenly thinking she won Best Album (aca-aaawkward), she did not fail us this year.

4) P!nk power!

Singer/songwriter, P!nk, is known for her death defying performances on stage that leave you on edge and in awe.  She brought her signature aerial performance of “Try” to the Grammy’s stage.  

5) Marriage equality.

Singer, actress, model, producer, comedian, and now marriage officiant? What can’t Queen Latifah do?  During the “Same Love” performance by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Madonna, Queen Latifah officiated the marriages of 34 couples (including same sex couples) right there on stage.  It was a pretty epic and moving moment.

6) Duets.

Kendrick Lamar and Imagine Dragons performed an amping medley of “Radioactive” and “m.A.A.d City”.  Probably one of the best performances of the night, their mashup definitely captured the attention of the entire audience, and really got T-Swift on her feet.

7) Oh, Lorde.

Lorde’s Grammy performance captured the attention of…exorcists everywhere.  It’s safe to say this up-and-coming artist is one of a kind with her unique sound and style of music.  Her uniqueness was certainly exemplified in the passionate, yet somewhat possessed looking rendition of her song, “Royals.”

Daft Punk may have won Record and Album of the Year, but looking back, who really stole the 2014 Grammys?  Quantitatively, we’ll give this one to T-Swift for her unfailing supply of memorable award show moments. 

Born and raised on the Big Island of Hawaii. Art and Communications double major at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Loves to create things, build things, craft things, the whole shabang. Creative and chill is the way to be. Check out @goodarethevibes on Instagram for custom stickers!
Hawaii Contributor Account