This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

With many colleges transferring to online classes due to the progression of COVID-19, many of us are finding ourselves with some extra free time on our hands. Personally, I’ve been channeling my inner bookworm by making my way through some new books between online classes and homework. If you’re finally tired of Netflix and YouTube, consider taking the time to discover a new great book. I’ve compiled a list of some of my all time favorite reads into three genres (fantasy, novels, and self growth), all of which I’d highly recommend!

Fantasy Trilogies:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

A widely popular and well known dystopian series, The Hunger Games remains not only my favorite series, but also my favorite books I have ever read. The trilogy follows 16 year old Katniss Everdeen, who lives in a futuristic society known as Panem, made up of 12 districts. Each district must send a boy and girl to the Hunger Games annually, in which the 24 contestants brutally fight until one victor remains. The epicenter of Panem, known as the Capitol, watches the anticipated Games on TV. When the annual reaping comes around, Everdeen volunteers to take the place of her 12 year old sister, who’s name was pulled to compete. While many people have read this series, or at least watched the movies, I highly recommend it if you have not! The fast-paced structure and excellent writing will keep you hooked from beginning to end. Or, if you have read it before, never count out a reread of your favorite books. I loved how rereading can bring a new perspective or outlook to the story.

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

One of my more recent reads, A Court of Thorns and Roses is another fast-paced trilogy. The first book is a Beauty and the Beast retelling, while the later books take on their own plot. Set in a world where both faeries and humans exist (although not in peace), the book is narrated by 19 year old Feyre. The book begins when Feyre, out hunting for her starving family, kills a faerie disguised as a wolf. As reparation for her crime, Feyre is forcefully taken out of her human realm, and into the faerie kingdom on the other side of the wall that divides their world, where she meets both friends and foes. A fantasy romance, this particular series was one I could not put down. Sarah J. Maas artfully breaks the typical tropes seen in most Young Adult and New Adult series, adding her own unique twists to the  plot.

a bunch of books
Patrick Tomasso on Unsplash

Novels

Here So Far Away by Hadley Dyer

Here So Far Away centers on the female protagonist, high school senior George, as she navigates her last year of high school and faces unexpected obstacles, loss, and first love. I can’t say much more without giving too much of the plot away, but I will say that it remains one of my top three favorite reads of all time. I first picked this book up about two years ago, and am currently reading it for the third time. While not as well known as some other YA contemporaries, Here So Far Away certainly deserves more recognition. It is a beautiful, poetic, and heartbreaking coming-of-age story. Not to mention, any book that makes me both laugh out loud and cry will immediately get brownie points from me. I promise this book will have you giggling by the first chapter, and I’ll bet you shed a few tears by the time you turn the last page. It is definitely worth the read.

Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

One of the most unique books I have ever picked up, Daisy Jones and the Six is a recently published novel that has won the attention of many, and will soon be a musical drama TV series. The book is about the rise and fall of a fictional ’70s rock band known as The Six, and their time working with Daisy Jones, another young and arising musical artist. It is written in an interview style, with perspective from multiple band members, managers, and crew working with the band during their reign. While I was unsure about how to take the different narration style at first, I fell in love with this book quickly. It was riveting and humorous, and the different narrations masterfully kept their own distinct voice and character throughout the novel. Read it before it hits the screen!

Anthony Tran
Anthony Tran / Unsplash

Self-growth

Saltwater Buddha by Jaimal Yogis

This novel is an adventurous, humorous tale and memoir that follows author Jaimal Yogis on his journey to becoming a skilled surfer, while also exploring his inner journey to the self. Sprinkled with inspiration, Buddhist and Zen philosophy, and a love of the ocean that permeates the book, this novel may just make you want to leave everyday life behind to become a surfer, too. It also features some scenes on the islands of Hawaii, which I personally loved. While I find some books on spirituality can be hard to relate to, or confusing, Saltwater Buddha was surprisingly fast-paced and it’s realness made it easy to relate to. Most of all, I loved the message it preached: anyone can find purpose, growth, and meditative stillness in the things they love and are passionate about.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

Similar to Saltwater Buddha, this novel doesn’t fit the typical mold of a spiritual book and opts for a more subtle but powerful message. Ishmael opens with the narrator, and unnamed man, who reads an ad in the newspaper looking for a pupil who, bluntly, wants to save the world. The man decides to answer the ad, and shows up to designated meeting place, only to find the teacher is an unlikely suspect: a large gorilla. The novel proceeds to focus on the exchange between the gorilla, who has a story to tell that will dispel wisdom, and the man. This book was an enjoyable, thought-provoking read.

Hopefully, you’ll find one of these books interesting to you, and consider picking it up yourself. During this time, many of us are dealing with a bout of mixed emotions, such as shock, sadness, or even fear. I encourage you to remain calm and stay present during this hectic time. For me, books have always been an escape of some form when I find myself anxious or feeling alone in my life. Take your mind off your worries and dive into one of these great reads.

Ashley is currently a junior at Boston University. She is majoring in conservation and ecology biology with an interest in marine and wildlife conservation. In her free time she loves to practice yoga, read, create wellness content for her instagram @soulfullyashley, and surf when she can make it to the beach.
Hawaii Contributor Account