This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

As someone whose obsession with One Direction started in 2012, I believe that this article has been predestined to be written by yours truly. If your favorite song isn’t on this list, that doesn’t mean it’s not a good song. One Direction only released masterpieces.

10. “Happily” (Midnight Memories )

You don’t understand… You don’t understand. The chokehold that this song had on me in 2015. Happily is one of those songs that you listen to when you’re in love with someone and you just genuinely don’t care about the world around you. This song embodies being so happily in love, a feeling that I hope everyone gets to experience. “I don’t care what people say when we’re together. You know I wanna be the one to hold you when you sleep.” (Kotecha, Falk & Styles, 2013, Track 8). That’s the kind of college, young love that will either bring you pure happiness or will end in one of the worst heartbreaks of your life. But this song isn’t all about happy love. The person that they’re singing about is with someone else. OUCH. But they don’t care. In fact, they wonder if “he” knows about you two.

9. “Don’t Forget Where You Belong” (Midnight Memories )

This song got me through some times. The boys sing about how you’re never alone and that they’re really with you through everything. Sort of in the same way that they were always on the move, going on back-to-back tours, but we were essentially their “home”. And they reminded me that home isn’t technically a place. I can say that my house is in Waipahu but my home is definitely wherever my friends are because they are my safe space. Listening to Don’t Forget Where You Belong will always make my heart feel warm and safe.

8. “Act My Age” (FOUR )

AN ICONIC SONG DURING AN ICONIC TOUR. Just all good vibes with this Irish Jig-vibe song. The song reminds me that no matter how “fat and old” I’ll get, I will always have the young, carefree attitude that I’ve had for years. I also hope to experience the kind of relationship that the boys are singing about — being with someone for years but always having the same feelings for them. Love is timeless and so is this song. And if you ever want to experience the full effect of this song, please watch the live performances.

7. “Kiss You” (Take Me Home )

I was in high school when this song was released and it was a very interesting time so this song takes me back. Zayn and Niall’s verses get to me everytime. It’s a really upbeat song that has such a cute music video. The boys are just playing around with different backdrops on set but it’s so playful and wholesome. You can see the relationship between the five of them and how happy they were. I think that the vibes between the Take Me Home and Up All Night albums were really different. I’ll get more into it in the next section.

6. “Up All Night” (Up All Night )

When a song is also the name of the album, YOU KNOW IT’S GOING TO BE A MASTERPIECE. Another upbeat song that takes me back to high school. I was a freshman and when I first heard this song I was actually in the middle of my first all nighter because I was watching “One Direction funny moments”. (If you’ve ever gone through that, I feel you. I thought it was going to be a phase but here I am in one of my last years of college writing about my favorite One Direction songs.) This song makes you want to throw a party and just jump around all night.

5. “Everything About You” (Up All Night )

A song that’s all about complimenting me? Yes please! This song single-handedly made 15-year-old me want to find someone who will drop everything for me. Was it possible? No, but a girl can dream. This song is a really feel-good song. When I’m feeling insecure, like I’m not good enough, this song helps me feel better. Zayn’s verse at 2:36 is also one of the best things I’ve ever heard. The change in tempo and Zayn saying “And you have always been the only one I wanted, and I wanted you to know without you, I can’t face it” (Robson, Wayne, Styles, Payne, Horan, Malik, & Tomlinson, 2011, Track 10) chefs kiss right there.

4. “I Want To Write You a Song” (Made in the AM )

This is one of their last songs before they went on a hiatus. This song feels like a “goodbye but I’m still here for you” for the fans. When this album was released, I was going through possibly the hardest time in my life and I always turned to One Direction, so this song HURT. Listening to it now reminds me that these boys really had my back for years despite not even knowing of my existence.

3. “No Control” (FOUR )

Louis Tomlinson was and still is my favorite. (Harry comes at a close second but I’m a loyal gal.) So hearing Louis sing the chorus for this song after years of him not getting the recognition that he deserved was amazing. He also wrote it so this song is like my child. The concert performances were also unforgettable. The vibes were great and the boys just had a grand old time on stage jumping around and laughing.

2. “Better Than Words” (Midnight Memories )

Come on — a song where the lyrics are titles of other songs?? A literal masterpiece right there. The creativity that this song has was spectacular and it is so catchy too. The song is about how someone’s love is so indescribable and that words aren’t good enough to explain it. Louis’s verse also says “Everyone tries to see what it feels like. But they’ll never be right…” (Bunetta, Ryan, Payne, Scott & Tomlinson, 2013, Track 14). I’m just trying to see what it feels like too.

1. “Clouds” (Four )

They really outdid themselves with this song. It immediately starts off with a guitar and Harry’s vocals make you feel like you’re ascending up in the air — or the clouds. I cannot imagine listening to this song and being sad. They also opened their iconic On The Road Again tour with this song so this song has a special place in my heart.

Aloha everyone! I'm Mary Joy, born and raised on the island of O'ahu. I'm a senior majoring in Business Management. On my free time, I enjoy finding new places to eat, spending time with friends, and taking naps :) I enjoy writing for HerCampus and showing everyone what I love about the island!