This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Fall is definitely my favorite season. From pumpkin patches, cooler weather, and finally being able to wear sweaters again, what’s not to love? One of my favorite pastimes when autumn rolls around is baking tons of warming treats that taste like nostalgic memories in food form. Going vegan and (mostly) gluten free a few years ago didn’t mean I had to give up my favorite baked goods, though! In fact, I’ve found even more delicious new recipes to get into the fall spirit.

Apple Cider Donuts

Growing up on the East Coast, I always loved eating apple cider donuts after apple picking. While we don’t quite get much of a fall in Hawaii, these donuts are sure to make you feel as though you’re meandering through a New England apple orchard. Spiced and coated in cinnamon and sugar, these donuts are baked, making them healthier than the average fried donut. My favorite recipe is by Minimalist Baker

Pumpkin Muffins

If you don’t make pumpkin bread or muffins all season long, is it even fall? Classic but always tasty, pumpkin muffins make a perfect breakfast (or dessert, too). These pumpkin muffins from Well Plated by Erin come out perfect every time. I made mine gluten free by subbing whole wheat pastry flour for equal parts oat flour and 1:1 gluten free flour. The addition of chocolate chips is also a bonus, if you’re a chocolate lover like me!

Apple Crisp

Apple Crisp has been my favorite fall dessert for as long as I can remember. It’s definitely a little less healthy than the other options I listed above, but it’s completely worth it. Here’s a veganized recipe I’ve been making for years:

Filling:

-5 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced

-1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Crumble:

-3/4 cup sugar 

-1 cup flour 

-1/2 cup vegan butter, cold and cut into pieces (I find Miyokos stick butter works best)

-1.5 tsp cinnamon

-1/2 tsp salt

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8” cake pan

2. Layer the apples into a pan, and sprinkle with lemon juice. 

3. Lightly press down apples to even them out.

4. To make the crumble, process flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor or blender until well combined.

5. Add in butter until an even mixture is formed.

6. Transfer crumble mixture to the pan and coat the apples evenly, pressing the crumble into the pan.

7. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour, until the top is lightly browned. 

8. Serve warm with your favorite vegan vanilla ice cream!

Get into the fall spirit and try out some of these recipes; they definitely aren’t lacking in flavor!

Ashley is currently a junior at Boston University. She is majoring in conservation and ecology biology with an interest in marine and wildlife conservation. In her free time she loves to practice yoga, read, create wellness content for her instagram @soulfullyashley, and surf when she can make it to the beach.
Hawaii Contributor Account