This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

This past Super Bowl Sunday was one that I couldn’t sit still with. One, that the 49er’s didn’t make it to the finals and two, the Cincinnati Bengals were an underdog that I just couldn’t help but root for. Don’t get me wrong, my brother (and my other cousins) are hardcore Los Angeles Rams fans, so I have to side with them, but the Bengals definitely made the Rams work for it. 

I’m not super well-versed with football, but there were a few highlights from the game and the overall show that made me squeal at this year’s Super Bowl craze.

It’s the Final Touchdown

First on this list is actually the last moments of the game. And let me tell you, the final minutes of the game were pure torture. At this point, I didn’t know who to completely side with – the Rams who my family is faithful fans to or to the new challenger and underdog, the Bengals. But it was clear when the Rams scored a touchdown with a minute to spare in the game. 

The HALFTIME SHOW

Of course, I cannot not include a highlight about the halftime show! The halftime show was great (as always) filled with rap and hip hop from my childhood. And let me just tell you, my brother was going off, a total vibe. Also, the dancers and the stage was so good, like where can I buy Miss Mary J. Blige’s outfit?

The Bengals’ 3rd Quarter

The Cincinnati Bengals kept the game close, especially in the third quarter (or the first play of the second half of the game), when they took the lead with a score of 16-20. I honestly thought that they were going to take the win, but the Los Angeles Rams kept their cool and finished the game strong. 

Mickey Guyton

Last but not least, Mickey. I loved her rendition of the Star Spangled Banner! A country singer with pazazz and a literal queen, I’m fangirling. If only I could sing like that and in front of millions of people watching (in the crowd and at home) because in actuality my voice would be cracking out of pure nervousness. 

The Super Bowl will always have a special place in my heart, no matter who’s playing, because I have something to “go crazy about” with my family (even though we’re not the most sporty bunch).

Aubrey is a second-year student majoring in Public Health and pursuing a minor in Biology at UH Manoa. Being born and raised on the island of Maui, Hawaii, she aspires to help others, focusing on community outreach and underrepresented minority health. In her free time, she enjoys traveling, journaling, and going on picnics/watching films with family and friends.