The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Matcha originated in East Asia and has been around for centuries. Back then, matcha was only produced in limited quantities and was known to be a luxury for only the wealthiest people. If you do not know what matcha is, it is a finely ground powder made of green tea leaves. A matcha latte combines both the green tea powder and steamed milk, which you can drink hot or cold. You can put matcha powder into just about anything. Lately, I have been seeing matcha put into chocolate, macarons, cookies, pancakes, brownies, ice cream, you name it!

Since I’ve been trying every matcha latte I can find on this island, I will share my top three local favorites!

Daily Whisk matcha

Located on 11th Avenue in Kaimuki, Daily Whisk Matcha has nothing but matcha drinks on their menu. Not only do they make classic Matcha Tea Lattes with unique sweeteners (my favorite is the vanilla or lavender), they also make Matcha Lilikoi Soda, Matcha Lemonade, Matcha-cano (like an Americano), and Hojicha Tea Lattes. Hojicha is in the Japanese green tea family, just like Matcha, however it is prepared differently and has a sweeter taste. If you decide to go, do not forget to pair your drink with a salt and butter bun, cheese and mushroom puff, or arabiki and bacon bun! They are open everyday from 8 AM to 2 PM.

The Curb kaimuki

Starting out as a food truck, The Curb is now a brick and mortar shop located in Kaimuki. Not only does The Curb sell your classic coffee drinks, but they obviously sell Matcha Lattes as well. Be sure to try their Lavender Matcha Latte made with Rishi’s organic “Everyday Matcha” powder combined with the housemaid lavender from Maui. Be sure to visit them on Waialae Avenue from 6:30 AM to 2 PM (Monday – Friday) and 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM (Saturday – Sunday).

Downtown Coffee

Locally owned and located in the Pioneer Plaza in Honolulu is Downtown Coffee. Downtown Coffee is known for roasting their own coffee every week and importing locally made coffee and espresso. But what I love most at this coffee shop is their Matcha Lattes, Matcha Americano, and Matcha Shots. Be sure to pair your drink with their Matcha Torte topped with bamboo-charcoal crust. Be sure to visit them 6 AM to 4 PM (Monday – Friday) or 7:30 AM to 12 PM (Saturday).

I recommend definitely making some time to check out these local spots for the best Matcha Lattes in town.

Aloha! My name is Keilyn and I am a Graduate Student studying Public Health at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa. I enjoy going to the beach, reading mystery books, cooking, and playing with my puppy, Kaiba! I love being on the HER Campus Hawaii Team and sharing my stories!