Life > Experiences

Learning New Skills as an Adult Isn’t as Hard as You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

It was a dream of mine growing up to be able to surf. I did not live by the ocean, so it wasn’t really possible for me to learn as a child. When I moved to Hawaii, it was the first thing I wanted to do. I was simultaneously nervous and thrilled by the idea of starting something new. It had been a long time since I tried to learn something new with no background knowledge whatsoever. What I wasn’t prepared for was how difficult it was going to be. I don’t even remember learning to ride a bike as a child, but surely it wasn’t this difficult.

Yet, with time, as it turns out, I can learn something new and be good at it! A few simple tips, you too can learn that new skill or hobby you have been wanting to learn.

It’s so important to embrace the discomfort and just have fun. As adults, we often are worried about making mistakes and looking foolish. Of course you are going to make mistakes throughout the learning process, but don’t let them discourage you. Learn from them. You have an advantage as an adult, the one where you chose to learn the hobby because you truly want to and that gives motivation. 

Most importantly, don’t give up. This was the most difficult part for me, I wanted to give up on surfing so many times. I didn’t understand why I wasn’t getting better, but I kept going and having fun learning, and eventually it all clicked. If I had given up, I would have missed out on my now favorite thing to do. 

Find friends who like to do the same thing. Having someone there to learn a hobby with or enjoy the hobby with you makes learning more fun. I had some surfing friends, some learning with me, and others who were more advanced to go out with. It made me want to continually go and it became a social activity too. Friends will help keep you accountable!

Don’t keep pushing off a new skill or hobby you want to learn. Start tomorrow!

Averi Burud

Hawaii '22

Avid surfer & current student studying Sustainability at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.