Law Abiding Sunscreens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

In recent scientific studies, many have come to a surprising conclusion that our oceans are being greatly harmed by something most of us do on a regular basis, especially in Hawaii. Our beautiful coral reefs are slowly dying right in front of our eyes due to multiple reasons, but, believe it or not, the main issue is sunscreen. Of course, we all put on sunscreen to prevent burning, to keep skin cancer away, but many do not know of the affects that this skin protection has on our oceans. We may be protecting our skin, but we are still causing damage to a vital resource for us all. Some recent studies have shown that Hawaii has lost up to 40% of its coral reefs due to a process called “coral bleaching.” Coral bleaching occurs when corals are highly stressed due to issues like warmer water temperatures, human tampering, and chemicals. A popular chemical that is found in most sunscreens goes by the name of oxybenzone. Studies have shown that in high doses, oxybenzone can cause irreversible damage to corals, eventually causing them to die due to DNA damage. Unfortunately, the rise in oxybenzone levels in our oceans has been causing coral bleaching to worsen over time.

If these scientific facts weren’t enough to change your mind, then a new law will soon enough. Hawaii has officially passed legislation causing companies like Banana Boat and more to worry about their sales when it comes to islands. If any sunscreen contains either of the two chemicals, octinoxate or oxybenzone, then it will no longer be sold in Hawaii. That’s right, either companies like Coppertone and Banana Boat are going to have to change the ingredients in their sunscreens or they will cease to exist within the Hawaiian Islands. Although this law will not go into effect until the year 2021, why continue using these brands when you know about their damaging effects? If you are now wondering what sunscreen to use next time you are out, don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.

Below are five different sunscreens that are eco-friendly. There are numerous others outside of these five, but these are a good starting point. Help make a difference by purchasing from the following brands next time you are out or shopping online for sunscreen.

Sun Bum Baby Bum

Sun Bum is a popular brand that many choose because its 100% vegan, oil free, cruelty free, gluten free, and paraben free, all while smelling “like summer.” Although the product below is advertised as to be used on babies, Sun Bum Baby Bum really could be used on anyone! This sunscreen is super lightweight, so you can kiss the annoying heaviness goodbye. It is broad spectrum and non-greasy, perfect for those sunny days away from campus. Sun Bum Baby Bum is “reef friendly” as it does not contain oxybenzone or octinoxate. (Perfect for Hawaii). This sun screen is also perfect for those who are looking for vegan friendly products as well as gluten free. Baby Bum is also hypoallergenic and lasts for about 80 minutes after swimming or sweating. Just because it does not contain those two pesky chemicals, does not mean a difference in quality. While out, I have seen this sunscreen being sold in multiple stores in Hale’iwa as well as in Ala Moana.

Alba Botanica: Hawaiian Green Tea Sunscreen

Now this sunscreen may look very familiar to some of you, as Her Campus has both advertised it and given it out to those lucky enough to win it in a giveaway. This beautifully smelling sunscreen is definitely my favorite one on the list, by far. The smell is all natural as it does not use any synthetic fragrances. It is completely biodegradable, gluten free, 100% vegetarian and does not contain parabens or phthalates. It helps to moisturize your skin with every use, dries quickly and is encouraged for daily application. This sunscreen is recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation, is coral reef safe and to top it off, it is not tested on animals! Now can you see why I love this product so much? While out, I have seen multiple versions of it being sold at various Whole Foods locations on the island.

Sea2Stream Sunscreen

Sea2Stream is an eco-conscious company that prides themselves on going the extra mile by creating a line of cosmetic items that will not harm our oceans. According to their website, an estimated 6,000+ tons of cosmetic products enter the ocean every year and that’s only tourists’ numbers. Sea2Stream offers ecofriendly sunscreen but they also offer other cosmetic items like shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lip balm and more! They even have after sun body lotion for those who still manage to get a little too much sun while out and about. Sea2Stream offers free samples and free shipping on any purchase of $25 to first time customers, so make sure to keep them in mind if you decide to buy an eco-friendly sunscreen online!

Raw Elements

If you have flown with Hawaiian Airlines in the past few months, then this name may sound slightly familiar to you. Raw Elements is a sunscreen company that has partnered with Hawaiian Airlines to help slow the rate of coral reef bleaching by giving out samples to all travelers in hopes of persuading them to make the switch to the Raw Elements sunscreen. According to their website, Hawaii’s coral reefs have seen a 40% decline in the past seven years and this company wants to help put a stop to it. Raw Elements has been certified as a natural sunscreen by eleven different organizations, including Leaping Bunny, 1% for the Planet, Non GMO Project and many more. If you are in the market for more than just eco-friendly sunscreen, Raw Elements also offers a variety of other products from body scrubs and lip balm to a revitalizing skin tonic!

Badger

Badger sunscreen is a product that has been rated as one of the best sunscreen products on the market by multiple health/environmental groups. These sunscreens have been certified as both natural and organic. Badger sunscreens are completely cruelty free with certification from Leaping Bunny and are also safe for the environment. Depending on the lotion you choose, they can be water resistant anywhere from 40 to 80 minutes. Plus, with the different the oils that can be found in Badger products, these sunscreens are sure to help keep your skin moisturized and not oily. Badger sunscreens are a great choice for everyone in the family, from young to old. Good news for all you Target lovers out there, Badger products can be found at numerous Target locations on the island, Ala Moana included.

Unfortunately, our oceans need all the help they can get right now. We should work on helping fix the problem, not continuously contribute to it. We need to save our oceans, protect them, for the present and for the future. Whether you are from the islands or not, we should even try and keep this law in mind next time we are at a the beach (no matter where you are). Hawaii’s coral reefs are not the only reefs being affected by these debilitating chemicals. We need oceans in our lives to continue living on this beautiful planet, so what do you say? Are you going to make the switch to environmentally friendly sunscreen sooner rather than later? I hope so!

Kayla Shaffstall is currently a Senior at the University Hawaii at Manoa majoring in Sociology, with a focus in Criminology and a minor in English. She plans on furthering her education by attending graduate school to obtain a Master's Degree in Sociology. When she is not writing you can find her soaking up some sun, hiking or drinking coffee at a local coffee shop. She is originally from Southern California.  
Hailey is a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and is pursuing a double major in marketing and international business, with a minor in fashion design merchandising. She is one of our Campus Correspondents here at Hawaii Her Campus and she's an active member of Alpha Gamma Delta. Hailey loves going to the beach with friends, hiking, and taking pictures!