J. Lion, Campus Celeb

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Jon Neyland is a familiar face on the University of Hawaii campus. While many recognize him for his modeling prowess, the multi-talented student has found a new passion for music. Currently, he is working on releasing his first EP under the name J. Lion. Neyland’s first single can be heard here

So, you used to model. What’s your background and how did you get started?

I started because of my sister. I went to one of her practices at the Pearl Ultra Lounge in Ala Moana and one of the girls there asked if I modeled. So I started off doing fashion shows at the Pearl, just like swimwear and stuff. I did Midweek once, I was in the Las Vegas men’s calendar, and I was with Don Larson for a little bit. But, I like music better.

Have you always liked music?

I’ve always loved music. My brother used to play back in Japan and I used to help him as a hype man – I was a hype man for four years. I downloaded a program and started self-producing. I’ve always free-styled. After I broke my hand, I couldn’t do anything, so I went very deep into meditation so I couldn’t do anything but music. 

Desrcibe the style of your music.

I try to encompass all genres. I have reggae, reggae/hip-hop, r&b, as well. The only thing I really don’t do is hardcore EDM and country. I try to take everything that everyone listens to. Reggae is the music that internationally spreads the quickest. By summer we are trying to officially have our record label so we’re trying to encompass all genres so we can be the center attraction, and have everyone come to us and sign all different types.

Explain the name J. Lion. 

It came about through the ideology of Rastafari; we identify very strongly with lions. We view ourselves as young lions. There’s young cub, and young lion, and once you’ve identified yourself in the culture and gone through enough experience, you’ve reached self-identification. Especially with my name John, combine it with Jah, referred to as the universe or God. J is an abbreviation of John and Jah.

Is your music spiritual?

Definitely spiritual in the sense of conscious rap. There’s a paradigm shift going on in terms of the view on minorities, civil rights, police brutality laws – the music kind of represent that culture. Instead of going around talking about girls in the negative context, it’s music about how to live a better life, smiling, and seeing each other as equal. I don’t go and rap about going out and doing molly, so we do conscious rap that includes trap and hip hop. You don’t have to listen to the lyrics to hear a positive message; it’s reaching your subconscious. 

Where do you hope to be in 10 years?

I hope War Records is established in Kapolei with our own building and own studio. We’re going to have multiple studios and officially signed artists. We’re looking to be the center of the musical hub of Kapolei for the growing economy over there. 

Last words?

Shout out to Decibel Studios and Dow Records for partnering with our up and coming label and giving us tour dates. 

Lightning Round

Favorite color? Purple.

Celeb crush? Amber Rose.

Pepsi or Coke? Neither.

Apple juice or orange? Orange.

Dog or cat? Dog. My favorite is a wolf.

Taco or grilled cheese? Grilled cheese.

Guacamole or salsa? Guacamole.

Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings? LOTR

Sammi Baum is a 21 year old journalist working to inspire the masses with her words. Baum is Taiwanese-German, a journalism major with an emphasis in English and Italian, a curvy women advocate, a gamer girl, and a low-key fashionista. Currently, she is a junior at the University of Hawaii.