“I Honestly Tried My Best”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

The NBA All-Star Game took place this past weekend. Now I’m no basketball fan—really, I didn’t even know that it happened. However, Fergie’s performance of the U.S. National Anthem has since taken the internet by storm. If you haven’t seen it already, stop reading, watch it here, and then continue.

Now that you’ve watched it, we can both agree that Fergie’s performance was… questionable to say the least, and it was seen on the face of many NBA players. Check out player Draymond Green’s actual reaction which has already become a gif.

Her performance received much criticism and backlash on twitter too—even from Bob Saget, who has become a classic meme, said “Fergie’s rendition of the National Anthem was originally written by Francis Scott Out of Key.”

Many also said it was “too sexy” for the “Star Spangled Banner.” But let’s face it: Fergie is 42 with a four-year-old son, she’s the host of The Four, has 2 Grammy Awards, and she was married to Josh Duhamel—who we’re still ~totally~ crushing on from Safe Haven!!

(I’ll just put that there for you…) So as far as I’m concerned, Fergie is sexy and still killing the game.

According to Variety, and many other sources, Fergie has since released a statement: “I’m a risk taker artistically, and clearly this rendition didn’t strike the intended tone.” She also said, “I love this country and honestly tried my best.” Me too, Fergie, me too. Famous last words by every college student ever.

But in the end, no matter how confusing or criticized her performance was this last Sunday, Fergie will forever stay in our hearts and on our throwback playlists. * Cue Fergalicious playing in the background. *

Hailey is a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and is pursuing a double major in marketing and international business, with a minor in fashion design merchandising. She is one of our Campus Correspondents here at Hawaii Her Campus and she's an active member of Alpha Gamma Delta. Hailey loves going to the beach with friends, hiking, and taking pictures!