This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Once food service workers were classified as essential workers, I was able to sign up for a COVID vaccine. With the vaccine being so new and the long term effects unknown, I was very skeptical of what I was in for. But, after thinking it over, I decided that being in pandemic was dangerous enough and I’d rather be safe than sorry.  

The entire vaccination process was very simple and easy. To sign up, all I had to do was prove that I had insurance and that I had a fit essential worker status. After that, I just selected a time slot and was ready to go. When I got to the vaccination facility, I was directed where to park and where to enter the building. After that, I was given a general information form to fill out and led to the vaccination room. There was no line or waiting when I arrived and I got vaccinated within five minutes after arriving. The vaccination alone was nothing more than a regular shot that you’d get at the doctor. After being vaccinated, I was asked to wait in a waiting area for about 15 minutes to make sure I had no serious side effects.  

After I was excused to go from the waiting area, I left and went about my day like normal. Throughout most of the day, I felt pretty normal. I had no symptoms and felt completely healthy. Around 6:00 or 6:30, I went and got dinner with my friends. During dinner, I still felt fine and had no symptoms. Afterwards, however, I started to feel a headache coming. I stayed for about 30 minutes after I started to feel a headache, but then decided to go back to my room, drink some tea, and went to bed early with the hopes of feeling better the next morning.  

When the next morning came, however, my hopes did not come true. Right when I woke up, I felt a heavy headache, nauseous, and felt like I had a fever. When I got the vaccine, they said that it was possible for me to have flu-like symptoms that would last one to three days. To make my symptoms last as short as possible, I made sure to really rest for the entire day. That day, I slept, drank A LOT of water, had a lot of electrolytes, and made sure that I ate healthy food that would help my body recover. I also took acetaminophen to help reduce the headache and fever. That night, I went to bed at about 8:30 pm to make sure that I got a lot of sleep so my body was able to heal. Overall, it felt like I had the flu for the day, but it was nothing unbearable and I was able to handle it very easily.  

The next morning, I felt completely fine. I still took it easy that day and was sure to not overdo it because I knew that my body still needed a day to recover. I did a light workout just to get my body moving, but not too much to exhaust my body. I still made sure to eat healthy foods to help my body recover, drank plenty of water and electrolytes, and rested by body. By Saturday, I felt like myself again. I was able to workout and feel good, didn’t feel slow, nauseous, or have a headache. I was back to my regular, normal self.  

Overall, I recommend getting the COVID vaccine. It’s a safe option and a good way to help end the pandemic. Thankfully, I was able to get my vaccine by fitting the status of an essential worker. The injection didn’t hurt anymore than a regular shot and the symptoms were manageable. The day after my vaccine, I had flu-like symptoms that were very manageable. Two days after my vaccine, I felt back to normal, but still a little bit slow. By the third day after my vaccine, I felt completely like myself and had no symptoms or side effects.  

My name is Mackenzie Hamilton and I am a sophomore at UH Manoa. I am majoring in Fashion design and merchandising while focusing primarily on the design track. I aspire to be a fashion designer with the vision of having 100% recycled and environmentally friendly textiles. My hobbies include sewing, writing, reading, painting, and exploring.
Hawaii Contributor Account