How to Make the Most of Your Time in a Boring Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Oh you know the class, the one with guest speakers every day, seemingly pointless busywork, and there’s always that video playing that makes you want to be anywhere else but there. You’re about to leave, but you realize this class requires you to be there for that sign-in sheet at the end of the lecture, so you’re forced to stay for the points. 

We’ve all been there, that’s me every Tuesday to Thursday class. What I am about to provide to you, from a fellow easily bored student, are 10 things to do to make the most of your time in this class. 

So come with me if you want to get through this hour lecture together:

• Talk chisme

Just spill that tea to that girl/guy you made friends with during class. They might not know who Carol is from Ethics, but I’m sure they’d love to see that drunk dancing at the club video you took of her.

•  Scroll Pinterest for DIY Dorm Makeovers

You might go into that Pinterest rabbit-hole of wanting to dye your hair and build some shelves, but let’s face it, your rooms boring AF. And if we are being honest, you’re gonna open the app and forget what you were searching for anyways. 

• Doodle my Dude

You may not be creative at all, but sometimes drawing a stick-figure relationship will distract you from realizing how alone you actually are, or I mean, how bored you actually are. 

• Do some online shopping

I call this method “pre-reluctant spending,” and, “I need to reevaluate my life choices.” I’m pretty pro at this. Sure your card may be maxed if you keep at it, but also, YAY new stuff!!!

• Watch a movie

Open up Netflix and chill with your lone-ass self. Or, open up the Disney Now website and binge watch the new baby Yoda series; regardless of you not wanting to identify with that “crowd” of people, Star Wars is fucking bomb.

• Try to delete some pictures from your Album

Personally, I identify as a picture hoarder, and “your iCloud storage is full” are the only notifications I’ve been receiving. So delete those notes you won’t be copying down, and those screenshots of that song name you aren’t going to look up later. Maybe it’s time to finally delete that pic of your ex from four years ago? It’s time to purge, cause you aren’t trying to buy that extra dollar-a-month storage.

• Design your tattoo

You may be too indecisive to ever actually get one, or too broke, but find what you like and plan it out. Even if it’s that cool “S” from middle school, it’ll pass the time and make you remember a simpler time…. 

• Plan an escape plan

Maybe this is just me, but try to make some over the top scenarios on how to leave the lecture in the case of an “emergency”. I’m talking about Season 2 Episode 4 of The Office type of escape plans. Just don’t purposefully start any fires…

• Do that assignment that’s due tonight

Probably last case scenario, but let’s face it, you weren’t gonna do it until later tonight anyways.

• Hocus Pocus and try to Focus

Oh you’re bored bored… I guess take some notes? Actually listen and be present? Umm, sure, you can maybe try to pass the class too.

I am currently a Junior transfer from the island of Kauai. I am majoring in Kinesiology, with an intent on becoming a Physical Therapist. I enjoy melodramatic poetry and sketching when i'm supposed to be note-taking. You can find me around Manoa campus skateboarding with a clipboard in hand, so I am pretty easy to spot. Feel free to stop me to stay hey, and to talk nerdy with me.
Hawaii Contributor Account