This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Bangles are great accessories. They’re cute and simple, but they cost a little more than we’d like them to. However, if you’ve got some extra ocean finds lying around, you could turn your treasures into jewelry!

WHAT YOU NEED:

Sea Glass for your charm

16 gauge wire to wrap your charm

12 gauge wire for the bangle (the lower the number of the gauge, the thicker the wire)

And pliers – scissor pliers to cut the wire, flat wires to bend the wire, and round-nose wires to loop the wire (should come in pack together)

First, you will want to make your charm. Wrap the 16-wire around your charm, and ensure it is secure.

You will want to use your round-nose pliers to loop one end of the wire around the back.

Weave the upwards end through the back of the wire, then hook a loop. Afterwards, wrap it around itself like this.

Cut the leftover wire off.

The finished charm should look like this.

Loop your finished charm onto your 12 gauge wire.

For your bangle, it helps to have another bracelet of your desired size to compare it to. Most standard bangles are usually 7 – 7.5’’ in circumference. Simply take one end of the wire and bend it once towards your bangle, then wrap it around like this with your round-nose pliers.

Then do the same again with the other end. The wires will need a little playing with to get it right, but just be patient and it’s totally doable. 

Now, use your best judgment to determine the size of your desired bangle and voila! 

Note: If you want to tighten it, just cut one of the ends and re-bend the wire to your preferred fit.

Now you know how to make as many bangles as you want without the cost adding up! They can make great gifts for yourself and a priceless,  personally handmade one to others. 

Hawaii Contributor Account