Horror Flicks of the 2000’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

It’s officially fall and you know what that means: pumpkin-flavored everything, the weirdos in costumes slowly trickling in, and of course the HORROR movies!  We all know the 20th Century classics like Halloween, Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street.  However, that doesn’t mean that the 2000’s have not provided their fair share of terrifying slashers, thrillers, and zombie apocalypses.  In preparation for Halloween, check out these must see horror films of the 2000’s.

13. Jeepers Creepers, 2001/2003

Jeepers, creepers…where’d you get those peepers. Jeepers, creepers…where’d you get those eyes. Sound familiar?  Because that’s the song you hear and run for your life.  Jeepers Creepers may not be the horror movie of all horror movies, but it is a classic.  We still have no idea what that winged, claw-faced, people-eating creature is, but it strikes fear in everyone it encounters…and it likes that.  If you are looking for a good teen-terrorizing scary movie definitely check out Jeepers Creepers 1 & 2. Both live up to the angst of their tale.

12. Devil, 2010

Devil is a more recent horror flick that revolves around an infamous enemy.  You guessed it, the Devil.  But this movie has an unusual twist: the entire story is based in an elevator.  A seemingly random array of people are trapped in an elevator while being terrorized by the devil himself.  It is captivating to see a horror movie in such close quarters with so much still happening.  But the greatest appeal of this film is the mystery.  As the story progresses so do the questions: Is it really the devil? Is it one of them?? But why these people?? Who are they??? Who will make it out alive??? 

11. Let Me In, 2010

Let Me In is an unexpected and underrated horror film.  It features a refreshing young cast of main characters.  This is a vampire movie, but unlike the soppy or cliché ones we have come to see lately.  The unorthodox relationship that develops between the two main characters (boy and girl vampire) is significantly more impactful than any Twilight junk.  The film relies on much inference to tell the story and create suspense.  It’s not your typical gory, blood-sucking flick, but it’s dark and creepy and has a monstrous side to it.  All of the characters have their own troubled backgrounds and a number of relationships are tested when they are faced with the consequences of life and death secrets. 

10. The Mist, 2007

Many will argue against the recommendation of this movie.  Realistically, the featured creatures are not all that terrifying and the majority of the movie is set in grocery store for goodness sakes.  But this film is hardly about the mist and creatures that derive from it. (Okay it is, but not most importantly.)  The Mist really explores the true human psyche when faced with fear and death.  Who and what do you turn to when all there is left is to die or survive?  This is when peoples’ true nature comes out.  With the right amount of monstrous action, suspense, some gore, and unseen twists, this film is a personal recommendation.

9. The Strangers, 2008

The center of fear for The Strangers comes from its realism and intimate group of characters.  A couple is terrorized in their vacation home by a group of three murderous strangers and they have no idea why.  Basically, everyone’s worst nightmare.  And what’s worst is that it is seemingly a game to these people.  There is hardly any downtime to relax with the fright and suspense starting very early on and maintains throughout the movie.  This film keeps you constantly on edge because you feel like you are one of the characters being harassed, creeping around every dark corner for escape.  Set perfectly out of reach of salvation or help this movie provides great suspense and empathetic fear.

8. Insidious, 2010

Insidious is another one of your demonic haunting movies, but definitely brings the fright.  After a couple’s son falls into a coma they soon realize that it is not doctors who can help him.  Even with the help of those familiar to the paranormal world, it is going to take more than an exorcism to get their son back.  The movie relies on suspense and sinister sound effects to bring the scare.  The title itself perfectly describes the fear factor of this one.  With a back story that leads into its 2013 sequel, both are a must see during the Halloween season.

7. Saw (1-6), 2004-2010

Unless you live under a rock, you know or have seen the Saw series. Death, gore, torture, and games.  Classics.  But along with all of the fun stuff, there is a long, thought out back-story to it all that you can only get from watching the entire series.  So if blood and gore are your thing these are perfect for a nice little Halloween marathon.

6. Funny Games, 2007

Funny Games is a psycho-thriller remake of the older Austrian-set original that employs similar scare tactics to that of The Strangers. However, this film takes a much more sophisticated, protocol approach.  As two young gentlemen dressed all in white make their way into a couple’s home they begin to terrorize and torture the two and their son.  They too make a game out of this in sadistic, psycho-amusing ways.  The comparatively refined way they go about their torturous games and their barbarous charm strike a different type of fear in viewers.

5. The Conjuring, 2013

The Conjuring can definitely be placed within the top paranormal horror movies of the 2000’s.  For starters, anything that has to do with a doll is a no.  Secondly, it is based on true events.  (But aren’t they all these days.)  This movie manages to pull off a frightening amount of fear tactics that keep you in suspense.  The whole family-being-haunted-by-demonic-spirits thing has begun to get dry and overdone lately.  But this recent horror flick brings it back to life and reminds us why we fear the paranormal.  The plot includes a gripping back-story that will continue into one of this year’s most recent scary movies: Annabelle.  Now is the perfect time watch, or rewatch, this one before checking out its prequel.

4. The Cabin In The Woods, 2012

Anyone who has seen this movie will know that it is one of the most unorthodox, yet compelling horror films of the 2000’s.  The Cabin In The Woods takes a whole new approach to horror flicks, utilizing intelligence, classic frights, and witty humorous relief.  This is one you don’t want to spoil, but all you need to know is that a group of friends stay in a (way out of reach of any help) cabin in the woods and s*** goes down.  The cliché title itself already makes it a must see, right?  And it is.  Highly, highly recommended for all audiences, not even just within the horror genre.

3. The Descent, 2005

A personal favorite and considered one of the top horror movies of the 2000’s, The Descent is one of those films any true horror fan needs to see.  A group of female cave explorers experience their worst nightmare come true when they get trapped during an expedition.  They are soon faced with mysterious and horrifying creatures that are out for blood.  There is no shortage of seat-edging suspense, shock, and gore in this movie.  While trying to find their way out and stay alive, we also see the personal struggle of the characters and how that will affect them down in the caves.  But ultimately it’s about the foul, ceaselessly frightening creatures with savage appetites.  A real horror treat.

1 & 2. 28 Days Later, 2002 & 28 Weeks Later, 2007

This list was not composed as a rated countdown, but there is definitely a reason that 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later are at the top.  The original movie and its equally good sequel are arguably some of the best horror films of the 21st Century.  They employ true fear-inducing zombies.  None of that kiddy stuff.  (For starters, they are fast as hell! No thanks.)  Each film has a solid storyline that uniquely introduces the commonly overdone zombie apocalypse.  Great acting on both human and zombie parts alike, which definitely assists with the fear factor.  Like The Mist, these movies play heavily on human instinct when faced with death.  We all like to imagine if we would actually survive a zombie apocalypse, but these movies really make you think what would you do if faced with vicious, gruesome death?

In honor of Halloween and all of the spooktacular movies out there, Her Campus is teaming up with Diamond Head Theaters and holding our first ever Horror on the Beach event!!  We will be playing one of these featured films on Friday, October 24th at 7:00pm.  There will also be a costume contest with a Campus Road Boutique prize package.  You definitely don’t want to miss out on this Halloween pre-game event!  Check out our events page for more details and RSVP ASAP! 

(Images courtesy of imdb.com)

Born and raised on the Big Island of Hawaii. Art and Communications double major at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Loves to create things, build things, craft things, the whole shabang. Creative and chill is the way to be. Check out @goodarethevibes on Instagram for custom stickers!
Hawaii Contributor Account