This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Gabriela Negrete is a transfer student majoring in Fashion Design from the beautiful island of Kauai. New to this island and to UHM, this collegiette is doing something that everyone wants to do: turning your passion into a career. That’s right, she’s well on her way to discovering the key to a happy life and she’s only a young twenty-something.

What’s that passion you ask? Gabriela is a fantastic henna artist. Although she’s relatively new to the henna scene, she’s gained a lot of experience over the last year. She does private appointments, parties and events, fairs, and even baby showers. 

She favors a traditional Indian-influenced Henna style. This means flowers, pedals, swirls, and paisley patterns galor. Gabriela generally sticks to the traditional hand and foot placement, saying it brings “prosperity to life.” However, one unique trade she’s picked up over the last year is henna on pregnant woman. Starting with an impromptu session on a close pregnant friend, she says the art makes the babies inside pretty active to add a little challenge to complete the perfect design. 

Are you interested in getting a henna tattoo? It’s a great way to use your body as a canvas but with a short term committment. Gabriele has reasonable prices ranging from as little as $10 to $40 for more complicated and larger designs. Thinking of having an event for a club or organization on campus? She also has a great event rate of $50/hour.  Although Gabriele is still experimenting with her homemade henna ink, she says you can expect these tattoos to last anywhere from 1-3 weeks, dependent on placement and proper care.

Look for Gabriele to come to Campus Center, local farmer’s markets, and even your dorm room for your next henna tattoo. Follow her on instagram to get your appointment @buena_henna!

Rachel is a senior studying Business Management at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. She treads the fine line of busy colliegette and overwhelmed stress ball. She enjoys running, hiking, and being outdoors, but willing to trade that in for a day of netflix and intermittent naps.
Hawaii Contributor Account