Career

Having Trouble Staying Motivated? Here’s What You Need To Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

You’ve officially made it to the last stretch of the school year. Summer is just around the corner; it’s so close you can taste it. But the work is not done yet. There is still school, projects, homework, and exams to get through before you officially switch into that carefree, summer mindset. It’s so hard to stay motivated during this last stretch of the school year when it’s so close to being over that it seems impossible to stay motivated to be on top of your grades and work. Here’s a few tips and tricks that can help you stay motivated to finish the year with a bang rather than getting tired and throwing in the towel.  

One of the easiest ways to prevent losing sight of your goals is to literally make them visible. Create a list on paper of all your goals and things that you want to accomplish. Then put the list somewhere you can see it every single day. I recommend on the bathroom mirror, the fridge, if you have a transparent phone case because putting it in your phone case will ensure that you will see it all the time. Another option is to write the list in your notes, take a screenshot, and make it your lock screen. Having this list will be a constant reminder of what you are working towards and will serve as motivation to keep working hard.  

Another fun way to stay motivated is to have an accountability buddy. This one is fun if you are competitive like me because you can stay motivated by making it a competition. Find a close friend or someone who you know will keep you in check, tell them what you want to accomplish or what you need to keep doing, and allow them to hold you accountable when it comes to finishing your work and not procrastinating. I also love this technique because it makes this a team effort. Not only are they keeping you motivated, but you can do the same for them.  

Something that always keeps me from slacking off is having a schedule that works for me and making sure that I am sticking to it. My schedule includes waking up early, exercising, going to class, doing my homework, then going to work. At night, after I get off work, I am always sure that I schedule time to relax and breathe. This little bit of relaxation every day may look different for everyone, but it is so important in making sure that I don’t overwork myself and wear myself down. Finding a schedule that works for you is one of the key factors in being able to stay motivated.  

Writing down or reading words of affirmation every morning can also work wonders when it comes to staying motivated. Having words of affirmation worked into your morning routine can set up a more productive, driven, and positive mindset for your entire day. At first, I felt kind of uncomfortable or ridiculous writing down words of affirmation because they seemed so cheesy, but they really do make a difference and after a while of doing it, it because more natural and I felt much less awkward. Words of affirmation really help you focus on your goals and give you the confidence you need to accomplish whatever you need to in that day.  

I highly recommend making a vision or mood board of the life you want to live, the job you want to have, and motivational quotes or words that will help remind you why you are doing what you’re doing. A vision board can be either digital or physical. I think physical ones are much more fun to make because they can turn into a fun little art project, but digital ones are definitely easier and take less time. Either way, making one involves getting pictures of people you look up to, a certain job you want, your dream house, dream car, places you want to travel, etc. I also recommend having quotes from people you look up to or having words that really speak to your soul and make you want to keep going. A vision board is something that you can look at every day and be reminded to not give up, keep going, and accomplish all your dreams.  

My name is Mackenzie Hamilton and I am a sophomore at UH Manoa. I am majoring in Fashion design and merchandising while focusing primarily on the design track. I aspire to be a fashion designer with the vision of having 100% recycled and environmentally friendly textiles. My hobbies include sewing, writing, reading, painting, and exploring.