danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Grad Advice from Post-Grads, 2nd Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

In the first volume of post grad advice from those who have already entered the adult world after the wonderful years of college, we got some answers about two very pressing questions,

1. Do grades matter post grad?

2. What makes potential new hires stand out from other candidates?

I know that many times in life we look back and wish we might have changed one or two things, made another decision even. Living in Hawaii for college, we might graduate and wish we had experienced the island more. Some people wish there was just a checklist that someone would give them of everything they should do before they grab that diploma and get their two minutes of fame on that graduation stage.

Our post grads gave us some insightful answers when we asked them,

“Was there anything you wished you knew or did differently before you graduated?”

Some of our most noteworthy answers included: 

“Realizing that no goal in the workforce is unachievable. We often underset our expectations of ourselves and immediately take ourselves out of the running for roles or career paths due to under-qualification. Don’t be scared to push the envelope on what is possible and go for opportunities you know you’d be successful at.”

“I wish I didn’t stress SO much about feeling like I had to have my life together.”

“I wish that, (1) I was told that it’s okay to learn as you go. (2) I knew that a VERY high % of work professionals didn’t get their formal degree in the subject of their current position.”

“Got an internship during college.”

“I wish I understood how stocks and taxes work.”

“Started applying to jobs the beginning of my senior year.”

“Start looking for jobs earlier! It is never too early to start getting your name out there!”

“That being a real adult is scary.”

“Being uncertain is okay and you will get a job.”

“I wish I would have stayed in Hawaii longer after graduation.”

“Prepared/research my loan repayment options better. Know you debt and what your payments are going to look like. Don’t guesstimate and get caught in a bad situation; find out and plan.”

“I wish I knew grad school was as common as it is, I thought that was for doctors and lawyers but everyone does it so now I feel like I need to go back to school to compete in my field for a job.”

“I wish I had traveled after.”

“Lived more presently.”

As you can see, the advice we got is all over the place: from better understanding finances to seeing more of the world. No matter your worries, one of post grads is bound to have an answer for you! 

Lena is a student at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa. She is pursuing a Communciations degree with a focus in Digital Media, as well as dual minors in Business and English. In her free time, she loves being president of her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and snorkeling on the weekends!