This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Recently, a new table has taken residence along side other campus organizations. This table is eye-catching with a light pink cloth, and smiling women manning it. The words “Phi Mu Vibrant” are written on this cloth, and for many it becomes clear what this table is for: a new sorority. Greek life is small on the UH campus, but with this recent addition, future expansion could be happening. 

1) How long did it take to start the Hawaii chapter? Phi Mu’s chapter at the University of Hawai’i at Manoa will be starting in the fall. Our new member process will last 8 weeks and our chapter will be installed in November 2015.

2) How long has Phi Mu been around? Phi Mu was founded on March 4, 1852. We are the nation’s second oldest fraternity for women. (Fun fact- We are called a “fraternity” because we were founded before the word “sorority” was coined)

3) What gave you the idea of starting the chapter? There is a process that each National Panhellenic Conference group goes through in order to be selected to bring their sorority to a campus.  First, a packet of information is submitted to the campus.  Second, the University’s Extension Committee chooses a few sororities to make formal presentations. Finally, presentations are made and the university’s Extension Committee chooses one sorority to colonize.

4) What are the ideals and mission, etc? Phi Mu was founded on the ideals of Love, Honor and Truth. We pursue the interests and purpose of women on collegiate campuses and in our communities. The promise of our mutual efforts is a lifetime of sisterhood. We are individuals, leaders, philanthropists and friends.

MISSION STATEMENT

Founded in 1852, Phi Mu is a women’s organization which provides personal and academic development, service to others, commitment to excellence and lifelong friendship through a shared tradition. Phi Mu promotes vibrant living, encouraging members to achieve their personal best.

5) How many women are a part of this sorority? Phi Mu has 15,500 undergraduate members in our 126 collegiate chapters across the continental United States.

6) What separates Phi Mu from the rest? What is unique about Phi Mu at University of Hawai’i at Manoa is that our members will have the once in a lifetime opportunity of being founding members of our Iota Alpha chapter. Phi Mu brings many programs to the University of Hawai’i at Manoa that the entire community can benefit from. We created National Hazing Prevention Week, National Ritual Celebration Week and National Philanthropy Day. We look forward to sharing these with the community!

7) What do you hope to bring Greek life on campus? We hope to bring new ideas and excitement to campus surrounding Greek life.

8) Will there be a house? University of Hawai’i at Manoa does not have Greek housing at this time. Phi Mu will be holding chapter meetings on campus and sisterhood events on and around campus.

9) Explain the “vibrant” part? In Phi Mu, we strive to lead vibrant, impactful lives supporting our sisters and our communities in positive ways.

10) Any words for women on campus wishing to pledge? Phi Mu will be on campus for our recruitment process September 8-20. Potential new members can sign up at gophimu.com which will activate on August 31. We will be tabling on campus, holding personal interviews and holding 2 recruitment events. In order to be considered for membership, potential new members must 1) Sign up at gophimu.com, 2) Attend a personal interview and 3) Attend at least one recruitment event. Potential new members interested in joining should contact April Roberts at aroberts@phimu.org with any additional questions.

Sammi Baum is a 21 year old journalist working to inspire the masses with her words. Baum is Taiwanese-German, a journalism major with an emphasis in English and Italian, a curvy women advocate, a gamer girl, and a low-key fashionista. Currently, she is a junior at the University of Hawaii.