Get Your Halloween-Themed Drinks at the Pop-Up Ghost Bar Before It Closes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

As Halloween approaches, everyone is thinking about what costume they’re going to wear, the haunted houses they want to go to, the parties to attend, etc. But how about going to a Ghost Bar this Halloween? Have you ever seen those Instagram posts of creepy alcoholic beverages with red syringes inside of them? Or drinks in cups that are lit with bright green L.E.D. lights, resembling a witches brew? Well, I am excited to say that there is finally a bar here in Honolulu that offers cool drinks like these!

Located at Ala Moana Center, the new pop-up bar called Ghost Bar (A Halloween pop-up bar) has become the new go-to for college students and trend-followers alike. The bar, which opened on the first of October, will remain open from 2 pm-midnight until October 31—Halloween! According to Frolic Hawaii, this bar was created with the help and support of restauranteers Riki Kobayashi and Masaki Sasada, as well as, Noa Laporga and Angelina Khan; who play a huge role in bringing the Haunted Plantation to life every year. So if you are curious to know what kinds of creepy or gory drinks you can get at a Halloween-themed bar, take some time to check this place out!

Don’t be surprised to find haunting interior decorations in every single corner. One of these haunting elements includes mannequin heads hanging on the wall above you. I mean, can it get any creepier than that? You will also find that a three-dimensional clown face takes up a whole other wall and blood stains are splashed on to the tables. There is even an open casket that you can take pictures in, and a shelf lined with creepy dolls meant for little girls. Although some of these elements are quite strange and downright creepy, there are also things which make this space feel upbeat and comfortable. Strings of colorful lights are hung up on the ceiling and walls which help brighten up the room. And, the later it gets, the more people start to crowd into the bar. Eventually, you won’t even notice the disturbing decor because you’ll be too busy socializing! I’d say this place is definitely successful in creating a trendy hang-out spot and a place to give you the creeps at the same time!

When drinking at the Ghost Bar, a stranger approached me and asked, “Is that the Pumpkin Pie drink, how is it? Because once I found out that there was pie crust crumble in it, I was immediately turned-off,” she said “it’s just that, when I drink alcohol I don’t want to have bits of crumbs in my drink. It’s just not what I’m used to.”

Although I personally loved this drink, I totally understand her point of view. Alcohol is something that you won’t usually find in this type of drink. The “Pumpkin Pie” is something that resembles more of a milkshake, (but a good one) rather than an alcoholic beverage. We think of alcohol as something that can be gulped down easily and smoothly—but this drink will challenge your perception. I enjoyed the uniqueness of the “Pumpkin Pie” drink. I mean, it’s definitely not something that we get to try every day!

The “Pumpkin Pie” appealed to me because well—who doesn’t love pumpkin pie? I also thought it was something that really captured the idea of Fall. The “Pumpkin Pie” drink consists of Horchata Rum Cream Liqueur, Vodka, Pumpkin Puree, Whipped Cream, Pie Crust Crumble, and Candy pumpkin. When you get the drink, the contents look like a creamy light pumpkin pie in a cup! And to me, that isn’t a bad thing at all. The drink is topped off with whipped cream, pie crust crumble, and a tiny candy pumpkin. When you delve into drinking this “pumpkin pie in a cup”, you will be surprised at how strong the liquor actually is! This could be either a good or bad thing, depending on your preference. The consistency and texture of the drink are rather medium. It is not too light and not too heavy. You will find a lot of pie crust crumble inside of the drink, and it adds to the texture of a pumpkin pie.

My friend who accompanied me to the bar chose a non-alcoholic drink. The only non-alcoholic drink on the menu besides…bottled water, was the “Eerie Elixer”. This drink consists of your choice of either orange, grape, or red cream soda, a condensed milk drizzle, whipped cream, and a candy pumpkin as well. He chose the red cream soda as the base of his drink. When he received his drink, it looked like a swirl of red and white and it basically tasted like—red cream soda! Nevertheless, this is a great choice for those of you who might be underage and want to enjoy the Halloween ambiance, or for those of you who might be the designated driver for the night!

The bar also offers a few appetizers. We got the spinach artichoke dip with crackers, and I’m not gonna lie; that dip was amazing. It was such a great appetizer to snack on while drinking. If you do want to get an appetizer or “treats” as the menu calls it, I recommend this one.

So before you decide to go out to a haunted house or a Halloween party, consider stopping by this booming spot before Halloween ends! It’s not often that we get such a cool bar here in Honolulu. Try something new. Maybe you’ll end up getting one of the drinks that I didn’t get to try like the: “Killer Clown” or the “Faceless Lady”Maybe you’ll decide to go out for drinks with friends before the Halloween party—don’t forget to have a designated driver! Either way, going to the pop-up Ghost Bar will only add to the fun!

Ashley is a graduate of UH Manoa. She has her BA in English and is interested in creative non-fiction, poetry, travel writing, and journalism. She is a freelance writer, a previous editorial intern for Hawaii Home + Remodeling Magazine, and a previous features writer for her campus newspaper, Ka Leo O Hawaii. Her goal is to become an editor or an editorial assistant or a full-time travel writer. On her free time, she enjoys spending time with her dog, blogging, writing poetry, and reading! Check out Ashley's writing portfolio at ashleyinsong.com
Hawaii Contributor Account