Futuristic February for an Eco-Friendly Earth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

It’s no secret that trash is becoming an increasing problem in today’s world. Among issues of climate change, the topic of plastics and other waste sometimes seems to get pushed to the back burner. However, plastic consumption is a growing problem that needs to urgently be addressed. In fact, the oceans are filled with more than 8 million tons of plastic each year. Over time, these plastics break into smaller and smaller “microplastics” that are consumed by wild animals and contaminate clean water supplies. Just a few months ago, the startling discovery that humans eat a credit card worth of plastic a week went viral. So, as we enter the second month of 2020, I invite you to participate in a challenge called “Futuristic February”. The month-long challenge of tracking your personal non-perishable trash was first created by Carly Bergman, who decided it was time to make changes in her own life after studying sustainability in Nicaragua. 

The idea of Futuristic February is to keep track of all the non-perishable and recyclable items one uses throughout the month, such as plastics, aluminum, wrappers, and glass. I recommend keeping a large box or bag to place items used throughout the month. The point of keeping items that would normally be thrown away is so that after the month’s end, you can see all the waste you accumulated throughout the month. The idea is to bring to reality just how much waste one uses in their day to day life, perhaps unknowingly. It’s important to note that the goal is not to cut back on plastic or other waste during the challenge, but rather to waste as usual so you can get a good idea of how much trash you normally generate each month.  

So, at the month’s end, now what? Recycle all the trash you produced, and perhaps make your own lifestyle changes! If you intend to make Futuristic February an annual challenge as I did, snap a picture so you can compare it to future years, and hopefully, you will begin to notice that the amount of monthly waste you produce is less and less each year. Small changes go a long way in making a difference. At the end of the challenge, consider investing in your own reusable utensils, glass straws, buying food in bulk to avoid packaging, and bringing reusable bags to the grocery store.

Our planet is in desperate need of people willing to make a change in their daily habits. If everyone refused plastic utensils or grocery bags, imagine the difference it could make. Raising awareness of plastic consumption, on an individual scale, is a great way to create significant change that benefits the environment. Although my journey to be more eco-conscious has a long way to go and is far from complete, little changes along the way make big differences in the long run. Large scale change starts with individual initiative, so take the leap this month, have fun with Futuristic February, and perhaps encourage others to join you!

Ashley is currently a junior at Boston University. She is majoring in conservation and ecology biology with an interest in marine and wildlife conservation. In her free time she loves to practice yoga, read, create wellness content for her instagram @soulfullyashley, and surf when she can make it to the beach.
Hawaii Contributor Account