Four Women Athletes That You Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

I grew up playing multiple sports but committed my time to soccer. I have been playing soccer for 18 years of my life ― wow. It is a part of my identity and made me who I am today. Without playing soccer I can imagine that I would be a different person. From soccer I gained sisters, structure, motivation, leadership skills, work ethic, humbling experiences and many other things.

As I was growing up I had role models who I aspired to be. I vividly remember being obsessed with Mia Hamm because of her success as a professional soccer player ― I wanted to do every elementary school report on her. As I got older I admired Alex Morgan and her touch, drive, and composure on the field. I really did think I would one day be like her…or maybe it was just because we have the same birthday. Who knows! Anyhow, as I continued to age I found more women in sports who were making history. 

They deserve all the attention they can get because they have paved the way for this generation and the next generation. These women have fought for their name to be out there. Especially as women athletes in a “mans world” of sports, they were doubted and put down. From recent events, I am confident that the women athletes now are empowering others around the world. This article is a must-read!

There are many women athletes that inspire me, but these are my top four. 

Alex Morgan

Alex Morgan has had all the eyes on her for years but mostly she has had millions of young girls eyes on her. She is the fifth highest scoring athlete in U.S. Women’s Soccer and eighth in women’s international soccer. Aside from being one of the best players in the U.S. Soccer History– Alex is a huge advocate for gender equality. She represents an honorable woman by encouraging young girls to be fearless and be the greatest girl there is. She was the voice of the #LikeAGirl campaign that is to inspire girls to embrace being a girl and playing sports. She also had a baby in 2020 and received many critical remarks that she would not be able to jump back to be the same athlete as before and be a mom at the same time. Glad to say she proved those opinions completely wrong as she played in the last olympic games. 

Alex and her teammates had been fighting a long time battle with the U.S. Soccer Federation for equal pay among the U.S. Women’s National Team. This February she and her teammates settled for equal pay and $24 million dollars from their lawsuit against the U.S. Soccer Federation. She’s a winner!

Megan Rapinoe

Megan Rapinoe was working the hardest with Alex Morgan in the lawsuit against the U.S. Soccer Federation. Megan is making a difference in the world we live in today. She unapologetically is herself by standing up for gender equality, LGBTQ+ rights, and everything she is passionate about. She has been the heart and voice of the lawsuit that the women fought for. Megan is also a stellar winger with a strong wing of a corner kick that has scored so many goals.

Simone Biles

Simone’s name has been big for a while and at such a young age she gained a lot of fame. As an athlete, I respect her decision from pulling out of the Olympics when she knew her head and body were off. Not many people understand that an athlete is more than just entertainment– they are a person on the inside who battles things every day. She received a lot of hate when she pulled herself out of the games while it was the most inspiring thing for every other athlete in this world. She showed that it’s okay to put yourself first before a sport.

Katelyn Ohashi

Katelyn Ohashi is a UCLA Gymnastics Alum who smashed her floor routine that went viral. To be completely honest I did not know about Ohashi until I saw her floor routine on ESPN but little did I know that she was advocating for body positivity and mental health. Katelyh Ohashi was a U.S. Gymnastics Junior National Team but quit in 2013 after physically and mentally burning out. Her body was pushed and pushed physically but also deprived from nutrients to maintain a low weight. She is open about her experiences as a gymnast and voices how important it is to love what you are doing and being healthy for yourself.

Anna is a senior at Hawaii studying Computer Science specializing in Cyber Security and minoring in Math. She is from Napa Valley, California. She loves focusing on school, health and fitness. When she is not studying, you can catch her working out, at the beach, with family, cuddling with her cats, at a coffee shop eating a lot of food or traveling somewhere off island.