Feature Hero Womens Studies Hero
Feature Hero Womens Studies Hero
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Life > Academics

Five Things I Like About My Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Oftentimes, when I think about why I chose my major, I think about what I want to do with my degree, or how it will be useful to me career-wise. This week, I was challenged in our “Topic Roulette” theme week to think about why I like my major. I am majoring in Communications, and listed below are five of the many things I like about my major.

I Am Learning to be a More Informed Consumer

A big part of what I am learning about right now is about how companies get us to believe in what they are selling us. There are a lot of little subtleties in how something is marketed that can influence how a consumer may think about a product or a company. Since we have been learning about this, I am able to look a little deeper into what is being shown to me and decipher what is actually being said versus what message they want me to take away from it.

Usefulness

I do really feel like Communications is a very useful major. In our required classes, we aren’t just covering “how to communicate”, but other skills that may be useful for the future, such as creating a website, HTML coding, and how to pick the best computer components for your own custom PC.

No More Math

I haven’t had to take a single math class since 2019. I have always hated math, and I will never have to take another Algebra class again! This may have nothing to do with my major itself, but I see this as a huge bonus!

Use of E-Textbooks

A lot of my classes in my college career have required me to buy or rent hard copies of whatever textbooks I need. Luckily, a lot of my Communications courses have instead had us purchase or rent e-books on Kindle or on the homework website for that class. It is great for me since I can do my homework anywhere and not have to lug around a heavy textbook.

Responsive Counselors

This one isn’t directly tied with the major itself, but the department of my major instead. After deciding to switch majors, I emailed the academic counselors for the department and heard back almost immediately! I was also walked through everything I would need to do to officially make my switch, which was super nice. Having great staff in your major’s department is definitely a huge win in my book.

Shae Walker

Hawaii '23

Shae currently studies Communications at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa and is the Campus Correspondent for HCHawai'i. In her spare time, Shae likes to listen to music, hike, and cook.