Feeling Burnt Out? Here’s How I’m Dealing With It and Still Being Productive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

I am certain that so many of us have been dealing with symptoms of burnout for a good long while now. Having been dealing with COVID and its effects on our schooling, I have gone through many periods of pretty terrible burnout. To try and get myself out of the burnout, I have tried many different things. Some of them worked well, and others didn’t. I’ll share a few things that I tried that have helped ease my burnout and/or helped me be a bit more productive.

Switch Things Up A Bit

I have been making the same things for breakfast and dinner for the past few months. Having been going through this cycle of monotony every day, switching up what I eat every day has helped me. Even such a small deviation from routine can really help.

Take A Walk

When I’m feeling really burnt out, I usually tend to become a bit more stagnant in my movement – I spend much more time at my desk and in front of my computer and not as much time being active. I find that getting up and even just spending 15 minutes walking around and getting my blood flowing again can really help improve my focus and productivity.

Work in Spurts

I find it really hard to just sit down and bang out an assignment. I set timers in short-ish increments for working and taking a break. I find that this helps me because I work better knowing that I am able to take a quick break soon.

Make Time to be Social

It is so important to not just be locked up doing work all the time; I have found that I need to make time to see my friends to help ease burnout. I dedicate certain time blocks during my week to be social so that I can take care of that need.

I hope that as we are all nearing the end of our semesters that the burnout doesn’t become too detrimental for you. Best of luck!

Shae Walker

Hawaii '23

Shae currently studies Communications at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa and is the Campus Correspondent for HCHawai'i. In her spare time, Shae likes to listen to music, hike, and cook.