summer girl hawaii swimsuit walking water cool high res version
Her Campus Media
Style > Fashion

Ethical & Sustainable Swimwear Brands To Dive Into This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Living and going to University in Hawai’i means spending more time in a bikini than actual clothes. Although summer 2021 just finished, it’s always bikini season here, so it’s never a bad time to start looking for your new favorite swimwear. You want your swimwear to make you feel confident, but a huge bonus for sustainability. Swimwear is usually made out of non-biodegradable materials such as polyester, spandex, and nylon. These microfibers are composed of really tiny pieces of plastic that will eventually end up in our environment. 

While shopping for your new bikini, consider opting for a more sustainable bikini this year to help give back to mama earth. Unfortunately, the fashion industry is considered the second largest consumer of water and the third largest polluting industry in the world. 

I will share my three favorite ethical and sustainable swimwear brands I have in my closet. All of these brands use ECONYL®, which is a regenerated nylon fiber 100% recycled materials like fishing nets, fabric scraps and industrial plastics. 

Tropic of C

Feel/Look- Their sustainable C collection is extremely soft for swimwear, so soft I would wear it as underwear. The quality is really high and the products are well made. They have a variety of solid colors and cool designs depending on your style. They don’t offer a ton of coverage, but are very flattering. 

Ethically Made– They are committed to making production ethical and partener with  programs that support women around the globe. from commissioning products from artisan groups in the developing world production 

Sustainable Fabric- They use three types of sustainable fibers. The majority of their bikinis use  ECONYL®, recycled fibers;  lycra® xtra life™, a fiber that is made to last ; and repreve®, fiber made entirely from recycled plastic fibers. They use digital textile printing, instead of 

Price–  $$/$$$. Prices are usually around $70-90 for a top or a bottom. Luckily, they have some great $100 eco-sets, so you can save about half. 

Packaging – Eco-friendly packaging that comes with a woven label, bamboo paper hang tags, biodegradable garment bags. They use a stone paper envelope, a tree free envelope, and a compostable hygiene liner!

https://tropicofc.com
Toast swim

Feel/Look– The fabric for this swimwear is oh so soft! This swimwear is great for simple styles and solid colors. If you’re looking for a great neutral bikini that is comfortable and keeps everything in this is it! All of the pieces are fully lined.

Ethically Made– Ethical production manufacturing practices. 

Sustainable Fabric– All material used in their swimwear is made from recycled materials. 

Price– $$, tops and bottoms are sold separately and most are around the $55/60 mark. 

Packaging– Minimal eco-packaging that comes plastic free!

Indigo Luna

Feel/Look– Very comfortable and great supportive swimwear designs. Great for surfing or any other water activities. They offer cute designs or neutral solid prints. 

Ethically Made– Dedicated to slow production and use sustainable manufacturing practice.

Sustainable Fabric– They use all natural dyes, no synthetic dyes and they use all ECONYL® fabrics for their swimwear.

Price– $$, the least expensive of the three, tops or bottoms are about $45.

Packaging– Minimal, plastic free packaging. 

Averi Burud

Hawaii '22

Avid surfer & current student studying Sustainability at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.