This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

My best friend turned 21 in January. Now, most of you know that Winter in Hawai’i is characterized by big waves and a lot of rain. For her birthday, she had wanted to go to the beach all day and she was so excited to spend the day with all of her friends surrounding her. We woke up that day to a downpour.

Have you ever been to the Ho’omaluhia Botanical Gardens when it’s raining? Well, we have. We went there and decided to take pictures of her in her haku. When we got there, it was raining. Me and our other friend helped shield my camera and we ran out into the rain. After the first location, we were soaked. We kept getting out and taking pictures at different locations. In our last spot, the rain stopped and the clouds had cleared just enough to see the Koolau’s and there were at least 10 waterfalls from the rain. 

Long story short, we decided to go with the rain. And to not let it ruin the day. Dancing in the rain has kind of always been my specialty. 

Today, I convinced my boyfriend to go to the beach and get in the water with me. The caveat, it had been pouring all day. And we got in that cold water and had a blast. 

I think what I am trying to say here is that we embrace the sunny days. The ‘good’ weather. But have any of you tried to embrace the bad?

In all aspects of life, there is rain present. You know all that cheesy saying, “you can’t have a rainbow without?” Well, it’s not that wrong. Just try it. When you see that it is rainy one day, do not let that stop you from going outside. Go and get wet and be okay with it. It is actually a lot more fun than you think.

With love, Jaclyn.

Hello my lovely ladies! My name is Jaclyn and I am currently a junior at the University of Hawai'i. I am working towards my Bachelors of Science in Natural Resource and Environmental Management with a specialization in Plant Ecology and Conservation! In my free time, I love to do anything outdoors including hiking, going to the beach, free diving, and photography. I enjoy doing yoga, reading, painting as well as looking at plants!
Hawaii Contributor Account