photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Confessions of an Introvert Who Hates Being Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Growing up, I was always labeled as the “shy kid.” But it turns out I just occasionally like my alone time (and had some minor anxiety issues—but that’s a completely different story for a completely different article). And up until college, I didn’t realize that there were so many people like me.

On a scale from introvert to extrovert, I’m somewhere in the middle, with a tendency towards introversion. In fact, rarely is someone ever completely introvert or completely extrovert. But regardless, when many people think of “introverts,” they often think we’re shy, anti-social, can’t be in leadership roles, hate people, etc. But the truth is we just like to get to know people on a deeper level, we excel in leadership, and we only hate ~some~ people.

The most common traits of introversion are:

• Becoming drained after a prolonged period of time spend with others
  • A close circle of friends
  • Introspective, curious, and thoughtful.
  • Independent
  • Often described as quiet

However, knowing that I need alone time, I have also learned that I often hate being alone too. I still get FOMO and I still feel lonely when my roommates are gone. I know, shocking. I still appreciate and like when people say hi to me in passing, and when people are friendly.

I’m an introvert, but I’m also a member of a sorority (which doesn’t have a house—t-god because I’m not sure that introvert me could’ve handled living with that many girls). And while I would say I have a “close circle of friends,” I would also say that I’m fairly close with many of my sorority sisters. Basically, if you add all those Snapchat stories up, and an event I don’t attend, and boom. FOMO hits like a truck. And no, it doesn’t matter that I didn’t want to go to begin with.

Ultimately, moving into an apartment with two other girls (and my own room), has allowed me to have my own space, and let my low-key anxiety of being alone simmer down at the same time. Now, when everyone goes out and I stay home, I’m usually also at home with my roomies watching movies. Problem solved.

But whether extrovert, introvert, or an introvert with major FOMO, it’s a key part of who you are. It’s what makes you, you; so, embrace it.

Hailey is a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and is pursuing a double major in marketing and international business, with a minor in fashion design merchandising. She is one of our Campus Correspondents here at Hawaii Her Campus and she's an active member of Alpha Gamma Delta. Hailey loves going to the beach with friends, hiking, and taking pictures!