Campus Cutie: Laura Lauren

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Name: Laura Lauren Garcia

Age: 18

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Ewa Beach, Oahu

Major: Nursing

Relationship status: Taken

Describe yourself in 5 words:

Unorthodox, naive, loving, offensive, tomboyish.

You’re making a five course meal for your friends and family: what do you make?

I would make homestyle food. A salad to start off- a blue cheese salad. Then I would have sweet potatoes, I think because Thanksgiving is coming up. I would have broccoli cream soup. The appetizer would be nachos. And then… I would have- man I’m getting hungry- steak.  I would have a heavey steak, green beans and mashed potatoes. And then for dessert: mango pudding. I freaking love mango pudding. And vanilla ice cream.

What makes you laugh?

Everything. Anything that’s happy or funny makes me laugh. No joke.

What do you do on a rainy day?

Play outside in the rain. Seriously. I don’t stay home; I don’t like to stay home.

What is one of your fears?

It’s kind of gross. I only have one fear. I have a phobia of vomit. I am scared of puke.

If you could be the star of any movie, which movie would you choose?

I’d love to be in the movie Ghost. The sad one where Patrcik Swayze died. I love him. He’s so romantic. 

What’s your sport of choice?

Martial arts. I have this huge passion for taekwondo. It’s a lifestyle. Back in highschool, it was everything. It made me fit, it made me happy and gave me motivation. 

You’re a freshman, how has your year been going so far? What do you think of UH?

School’s not so different from high school besides the dress code. I guess it’s my fault that it’s routine, and I don’t really like routine. I just want to get in and get out.

Do you have a favorite spot on campus?

Yeah, I love love love the new rec center. 

What are your plans for the future?

My own business. I want to open a home care for elderly. I’m going to be a nurse, graduate, get my bachelors of science and nursing done, and then I’m going to buy a piece of land and open up a small five bedroom complex and hire an assistant to care for the patients. I’m going to expand it until I fit 15-20 patients. 

If you could only listen to one artist for the rest of your life, who would it be and why?

Hozier. He’s Irish, but he writes alternative pop, jazz and blues. His music is… you can listen to it whenever; like when you’re working out, when you’re studying… it’s versatile.

What is your Starbucks order?

Strawberry Black Tea with Thai walls

What is your favorite thing to bake?

Strawberry cake. I tried it once. I baked it and it turned out horrible. But since I was a little girl I’ve wanted to bake the perfect strawberry cake. That’s one of my girly aspirations.

What is a turn-on and a turn-off?

I hate laziness. A turn-on is… I like a friendship kind of relationship. I don’t like lovey dovey. Just being chill. Somebody that cares, I guess. I don’t like mushy people. My relationship with [my boyfriend] is more like best friends rather than boyfriend [and] girlfriend. We beat each other up and sometimes we even check out other people together.

Lightening round:

Coffee or tea: Tea

Music or movies: Movies

Basketball or football: Basketball

Sushi or Poke: Sushi

Mangos or Papaya: Mangos

Ocean or pool: Pool

Japanese or Korean food: Korean

Books or magazines: Magazine

Gouda or Havarti: Gouda

Head, shoulders, knees or toes: Head

Manga or anime: Anime

Cookies or brownies: Cookies

Alaskan grown, this collegiette studies Communications, Sociology, and Japanese at the University of Hawai'i. She has a passion for music, a recently rekindled love of writing, and truly believes there is nothing better than the four B's: books, boys, booze, and the beach.