Campus Celebrity: Kalani Ware, Gripptide Extraordinaire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

In 2012, junior, Kalani Ware, decided to apply his graphic design skills to the grip tape used on skateboards. One thing led to another, and eventually, his creativity got the best of him. Thus, GRIPPTIDE, a skateboard art company that specializes in custom designs, was born. 

Ware is widely known on the University of Hawaii campus and has sold to several students. While many prefer custom boards they can use to get around campus, many of Ware’s designs are meant for decor purposes, like his custom faces. However, he does not discriminate and will design usable boards.  

Aside from the student body, GRIPPTIDE has reached a larger audience of local venues and galleries. “I recently got commissioned to do skateboard art for Dave Chappelle, Donnel Rawlings, Neal Brennan, and Charley Murphy from MTV,” he says. “That was dope and super random, but it came out legit.”   

With all the recent recognition, Ware was awarded 1st place for Visual Artist in the 2013 Honolulu’s RAW Natural Born Artist’s Organization. He claims it is his most prominent award and attributes his success to his abstract view of art. “I think a lot of my creativity is driven from what isn’t being done,” he says. “I notice that if you’re different, you stand out, so I apply that concept to my art.”   

Similar to many artists, Ware is trying to make a name for himself. He says, “I think I’m the same as a lot of artists in some way. I have a passion for it, and I aprreciate the love for it. But what sets me apart is the fact that nobody is doing skate art like I am on the island. At least that is what I’ve been told from art directors and people who have made a name for themselves in the art world. I was told that not too many are doing it like I am in many major cities. I’m curious to find out for myself.”

Ware’s dream is for GRIPPTIDE to become a “foundation for local artists to come together and give back to the community by showcasing events and workshops for youth.” Along with community work, Ware wishes to distribute around the world, to launch a clothing line, and to become a platform for local artists and designers to collaborate with skate art.

If you are interested in a personalized skateboard, prices vary depending on the size, paint, and detailing. Payments are accepted via PayPal or in cash and the first half is due before production starts. Ware is able to redesign old boards, as well, so if you were thinking about tossing yours out for a new one, don’t. 

You can view more on the GRIPPTIDE website, or on Instagram: @GRIPPTIDE

“Mahalo to all my supporters who are showing that true ALOHA.” 

Sammi Baum is a 21 year old journalist working to inspire the masses with her words. Baum is Taiwanese-German, a journalism major with an emphasis in English and Italian, a curvy women advocate, a gamer girl, and a low-key fashionista. Currently, she is a junior at the University of Hawaii.