This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Now, if you are like me, reading has never been a pastime that I enjoyed. In elementary school, I was always forced to read and that made me dislike it very much. But, after moving to Hawaii and learning that just sitting on the beach whilst tanning/looking through my phone can get pretty boring, I picked up a book again. 

I honestly think it is so important for us as humans to explore the book world and to truly find ones that you enjoy reading. I think getting lost in a book can also help you understand yourself a little better, too.

Now, If you don’t know where to start, you’re in luck!

Here is my list of must reads, when you’re in your twenties (or whenever). 

1. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

This is by far one of my favorite books of all time. This book follows a young boy on this journey to find his Personal Legend. It’s an extremely inspiring tale that helped me grasp the concept of truly following your heart and chasing after your dreams. 

1. Dear Self by Ruby Dahl

I have heard so many different snippets of passages from this book and I already know that this is going to be the book that helps me truly stand in my self care. A book that makes me stand up for myself and want to be strong, in relationships and life. This book is based on heartache, loneliness, insecurities, commitments, and the self discovery of caring for your own light.  

1. The Untethered Soul by Michael Alan Singer

Now this book right here, wow. Singer paints a picture of the process that is happening to each and everyone of us, skillfully weaving the idea that we are not our thoughts. I am on the more spiritual side, but I think anyone would enjoy this read. A lot of people stay trapped in their minds their entire life and forget to be in the actual moment that is passing you by. Give this one a read. 

1. The Mountain is You by Brianna Wiest

This book will call out each and everyone of you. It’s about self sabotage, why we do it, and how to stop doing it. To me, self sabotage is a subconscious action that just happened naturally based on the type of “training” or environment that you have been subdued to in order to subconsciously harm yourself. This book talks about the struggles of being human, and I think everyone should read this book to just know that you aren’t alone in your struggle, in fact, we are all struggling in one way or another. 

1. The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Basically, Manson tells us that our life is ours, so do with it what you want. I like to live by this code, but it is easier said than done. This book shines light on ways to help you control your life and be the main character of it. Through talks of growth, and acceptance, you won’t regret giving this book all of your time. 

One of my favorite quotes is, “What is language for if not to communicate how we feel?”

I think words are beautiful, and I think that these 5 authors wrote some pretty amazing books that can change your life if you let them.

Happy reading.

With love, Jaclyn.

Hello my lovely ladies! My name is Jaclyn and I am currently a junior at the University of Hawai'i. I am working towards my Bachelors of Science in Natural Resource and Environmental Management with a specialization in Plant Ecology and Conservation! In my free time, I love to do anything outdoors including hiking, going to the beach, free diving, and photography. I enjoy doing yoga, reading, painting as well as looking at plants!
Hawaii Contributor Account