Farm Row 12 Produce
Farm Row 12 Produce
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Life > Experiences

A Beginner’s Guide to Composting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Have you ever thrown out heaps of banana peels or veggie scraps and thought to yourself, maybe I should compost? It can seem daunting and maybe you don’t know where to start. Here are some tips and tricks to help make it easier for you.

So…What Is Composting?

Composting is the decomposition of organic matter (such as food scraps, animal products, leaves or plants) that turns into a nutrient-rich, similar to dirt, material that enriches soil and can help promote growth. This happens naturally in nature, but with a little human intervention, we can speed that process up!

Why Compost?

Composting is great for your garden because it helps soil retain its moisture and nutrients. It is a fertilizer that provides soil with nutrients like nitrogen, phosphorus, and zinc. This causes healthier soil, which in return causes plants to be more resistant to diseases and bugs. 

Don’t have a garden? No problem! Composting is still really beneficial and reduces the waste you put into the landfill as organic material makes up  ⅓ of our trash. It is harmful to our environment when you throw away organic matter into the trash because when organic material decomposes it releases methane gas into the atmosphere. Compost added to soil can help reduce the amount of water needed to use for plants and crops!

Composting Tips

You can compost anywhere! Yes, even if you live in a city or an apartment without a backyard, it is still possible. Using a worm bin works really great for this!

Get A Bin

There are many different varieties of bins, so choose whichever shape or size is most suitable for you! Research the different bins used for composting and go with the one that will work best for you. You can go out and buy one or maybe you’re crafty and want to build one on your own. There are many youtube tutorials to help you out.

Even Ratio

When composting you want to keep an even amount of food scraps and dried leaves to keep the nitrogen and carbon ratio even.

Compost More than Just Veggies

You can add more than just vegetables and leaves. You can try adding egg shells and household items such as toilet paper. There are some things you want to avoid, such as meat and fish scraps. If you aren’t sure, just google it!

Moisture

You want to make sure your compost is always damp. Make sure there is a lid on the bin to keep it moist.

Turn Your compost

You have to turn your compost. Rule of thumb: the more you turn your compost, the faster it will decompose. Life gets busy and it’s easy to forget, so set a reminder in your phone.

add to your garden

When your compost is ready, you can add it to your garden. Don’t have a garden? Ask a neighbor if they have a use for your compost or find a community garden near you that takes compost!

Remember, composting doesn’t have to be scary! With a little patience and help from these tips, you will be a pro!

Averi Burud

Hawaii '22

Avid surfer & current student studying Sustainability at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.