Local Farms Food
Local Farms Food
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

5 Sustainable Restaurants to Try on O’ahu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Since the pandemic began in 2020 I’ve been trying to support local when possible. I’ve always loved the food and supporting my community, but I only recently found out that it is actually a sustainable practice! Nowadays it seems like buying a sustainable meal is next to impossible, even in Hawai’i. The overwhelming use of plastic, endless amounts of food waste, and not using responsibly sourced produce are just a few reasons. According to the University of Waterloo, buying local benefits the planet because it decreases food miles (the miles that food has to travel to arrive to your local supermarket), protects local land, and creates fresh produce. In simple words, it reduces greenhouse gas emissions, helps our local farmers keep their land instead of being forced to sell it for commercial or industrial use, and continues to keep the local produce pesticide free, preservative free, and organic. Plus, who doesn’t love a fresh meal?

In honor of Earth Day, I created a list of some of the best local spots on O’ahu for you:

Kahumana Organic Farms & Cafe

Kahumana is a farm-to-table nonprofit cafe located in Waianae. With the produce grown in an certified organic farm right next to the cafe, you can’t go wrong! Known for their healthy and fresh farm meals, they also catch their fish by local fishermen and utilize responsibly sourced local meats. Kahumanas non-profit mission supports homeless families, individuals with developmental disabilities, and our youth. Make sure to stop by the next time you’re on the west side!

Sunrise Shack

You’ve either seen this shack on Instagram or as you drive past it in the North Shore and Waikiki. It’s that bright yellow shack- yeah, you know the one. The Sunrise Shack uses locally grown and organic fruits and veggies in their meals. Along with supporting locally grown produce, they’re eco-friendly by using paper straws, compostable utensils, and serving mainly vegan and vegetarian meals.

Mud Hen Water

Located in Honolulu, Mud Hen Water (which literally translates to wai meaning water and alae meaning mud hen) goes by the phrase “Hawaiian sense of plate.” They serve local style food, known for their innovative Hawaiian small plates and cocktails. Its farm-to-table menu features island-grown produce, meat, and fish caught by local fishermen. All protein is caught sustainably and is an ocean friendly restaurant! 

Kalapawai Café and Deli

One of my favorite local spots on the island! This restaurant focuses on supporting locally grown produce from Waimānalo farms and local farmers. When possible, they always try to include local produce on their menu. Kalapawai Café and Deli also sells local beers, Boar’s Head premium deli meats, and day-boat fish! But the sustainability doesn’t stop here: they also include paper straws and compostable to-go boxes made from recycled content.

Hiking Hawaii Cafe

If you love cafes that go the extra mile to protect the planet then this is the place for you! Known for their healthy vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free dishes, Hiking Hawaii Cafe always makes using locally organic produce a priority. They buy their produce from Kahumana Organic Farms, Mari’s Gardens, and beverages from Sky Kombucha and Hawaiian Paradise Coffee. Plus their sauces, salad dressings, and signature granola are all house-made. Did I mention local coffee, too?