5 Ideas for a Better Start to Your Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Do you find yourself waking up at noon? Or envying the “morning person”? Well here are some tips on how to become one!

Wake up earlier

This seems kind of obvious, but this is such a necessary step for having a productive day. When you wake up earlier, you have more time to ease into the day. You can do your daily skin care and makeup routine without having to rush. I am a firm believer if you start off your day frantic, you will be overwhelmed for the rest of it. So, I know its daunting to try at first, but once you get into the habit, you’ll be thanking me later.

5 things you’re grateful for

*cue the eye rolls*

This one step takes maybe 30 seconds at the most, but it’ll change your mental state first thing in the morning. There are so many things to be grateful for and with our busy lives, we forget about it. Sometimes you’re in a lull and comparing your lives to others but just don’t forget to be thankful for what you have in the moment. The things you list off can be as simple as “the sun” and it may feel silly at first but trust me, just try it!

30 minutes no phone time

This by far is the hardest step. Sometimes you wake up to a couple important notifications and you feel like you need to figure it out right then and there. Just take the time for yourself and mental state before handling business, the notifications or problems will still be there. During these 30 minutes of no phone time, I like to do a 10-minute meditation, or stretch a little bit, maybe make some coffee and journal- whatever makes you feel prepared for the day! You can’t take care of things without taking care of yourself first!

Eating breakfast

You’ve heard this before; breakfast is the most important meal of the day! And no, iced coffee does NOT count as “breakfast”. Food fuels not only your body but your brain!! You need to eat a balanced breakfast because you don’t want to go onto your next task of the day and not be able to focus because your tummy won’t shut up. If you need some breakfast ideas, click here for another one of my articles. :)

Water, water, water!

We all know water is essential for life and it seems like everything can be affected if you don’t drink enough. Water can significantly affect your energy levels and brain function, so I try to drink a big glass of it right when I wake up before drinking my daily coffee. I try to drink at least 64oz of water a day so I can flush my built-up toxins, improve my skin, and overall just give back to my body. If you struggle with needing “taste” try adding some squeezed lemon, cucumbers, mint, or all three!

Edna is a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. She is majoring in Travel Industry Management with an emphasis in Hospitality management. She aspires to be an event planner specializing in weddings. She loves dogs, the sunshine, exploring the island, and trying all kinds of new foods.