4 Locally Owned Food Spots in Ala Moana Shopping Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

It’s easy to go to Ala Moana Shopping Center, go to the food court, and eat from restaurants like Raising Cane’s and Chick-Fil-A. Those spots are big mainstream companies that are very familiar to many people, while for others, it’s a completely different territory. There seem to be more mainland fast-food companies that are starting to bring their restaurants to the islands—but what restaurants on the island have been here ever since?

It’s important to recognize the locally-owned businesses in Hawai’i. One crucial way that people can support the islands is to support local businesses (which support the people). This article is to help you do that! I’ll be listing 4 locally owned food spots all within Ala Moana that are very much worth your time.

Liliha Bakery

She’s iconic. Liliha Bakery opened shop in 1950 as a bakery and coffee shop, but has expanded (in certain locations) to be a restaurant! As you are seated, you will first be greeted by their famous jelly rolls (which, by the way, the first bowl of jelly rolls they give is not enough of a serving in my opinion. I need more, Liliha Bakery!). Then on the menu, you will see breakfast, lunch, and dinner food options for dine-in or takeout. On top of that, there’s a section of the restaurant catered to just the bakery, where you can buy their famous cream puffs! Liliha Bakery is great as the plates are reasonably priced, with reasonable-sized portions. Plus, it’s locally owned which makes it even better! Find Liliha Bakery within Ala Moana’s Macy’s, which is located on the third floor of the mall, next to Lucky Strike.

Blue Hawaii Lifestyle

This store is great for healthy food options. Blue Hawaii Lifestyle has açaí bowls, panini sandwiches, as well as smoothies. I love the açaí bowls here, as well as their Lava Flow smoothie. It’s a great way to feel refreshed on a sunny day in Hawai’i Nei, and the great part about it is that it’s a locally-owned business! In the store, you will be met with University of Hawai’i merchandise, which is something that I first was taken aback by. Find Blue Hawaii Lifestyle on the second floor of the mall, across from Pink Box.

Lahaina Chicken Company

This store within the Makai Market Food Court of Ala Moana is amazing. They have main dishes like rotisserie chicken, roast beef or pork, and baby back ribs. The great thing about this restaurant is that they pack in your plate and you’re also able to choose your sides. It’s a great price for you to get full off of one plate! Find Lahaina Chicken Company in the Makai Market Food Court (which is on the first floor) next to Chick-Fil-A.

Yummy Korean BBQ

Yummy Korean BBQ is just that girl. Also located within the Makai Market Food Court, Yummy is a great place to go for some delicious Korean BBQ. Not only do they have plates for a main course, but they also have combination plates so that you are able to combine meat jun and BBQ chicken all in one dish (which is my usual)! They also have a great selection of sides to go along with your meal. You can find Yummy in the Makai Market Food Court next to Panda Express.

The next time you consider eating at Raising Canes or Chick-Fil-A, opt to eat at locally-owned restaurants! They’re delicious and diverse, and support the people of Hawai’i!

Jessa Tadeo

Hawaii '24

Howzit! I'm Jessa, a self-proclaimed music enthusiast, born and raised on O'ahu. I'm in my third year majoring in Social Work and I love to go on way too many coffee runs.