25 Ways You Know You Go to University of Hawai’i at Manoa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

1. You’ve forgotten Construction Orange isn’t the only shade of orange.

2. You cried when Taco Bell was replaced by Stir-Fresh.

3. You’ve felt the devilish glow of hundreds of pairs of cat eyes silently watching you at night.

4. You’ve given in to the enticing call of Ba-Le and consumed a beer, or two, or five before class.

5. You’ve never actually seen the fountain in front of QLC running.

6. You say QLC or Queen Center because you don’t know how to pronounce Lili’uokalani.

7. You’ve drunkenly stumbled down to 7-Eleven for a spam musubi.

8. You’ve written at least one UH Confession or had one written about you.

9. You know the only palatable food at the cafeteria is served on Thursday Premium Night.

10. Your professors sometimes slip into Pidgin during lecture.

11. No shoes, no shirt, no problem.

12. The lack of school spirit doesn’t surprise you anymore.

13. You know to expect an empty classroom whenever a surf competition is happening.

14. If the temperature drops below 70°F, you wear ten layers of clothes to stay warm.

15. At parties, someone is always strumming a ‘ukulele.

16. You have yet to meet a guy who doesn’t have a tribal tattoo.

17. The shaka might as well be our school mascot.

18. Mainlanders assume you spend all your time at the beach, and you can’t disagree.

19. You’ve only been in the amphitheater for orientation and Aloha Bash.

20. You’ve almost lost your life while walking to class due to a skater zigzagging towards you at full speed.

21. You have strong opinions about the word “haole”.

22. You know it’s “slippahs” not “flip-flops”.

23. You know a single drop of rain will trigger a cacophony of moped alarms.

24. You’re guilty of going to Tropics seven nights in a row. It’s just so convenient!

25. You hashtag all your Instagram pictures with #luckyweliveHI or #livindaHIlife.

Alaskan grown, this collegiette studies Communications, Sociology, and Japanese at the University of Hawai'i. She has a passion for music, a recently rekindled love of writing, and truly believes there is nothing better than the four B's: books, boys, booze, and the beach.
Sammi Baum is a 21 year old journalist working to inspire the masses with her words. Baum is Taiwanese-German, a journalism major with an emphasis in English and Italian, a curvy women advocate, a gamer girl, and a low-key fashionista. Currently, she is a junior at the University of Hawaii.