This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Trust me when I say I know how hard a long distance relationship is, so here are some tips for surviving!

1. Communication is key!

Make sure you talk often and don’t become out of touch. Text each other good morning and goodnight, talk about your life, and send each other~*candid*~ Snapchats! Of course,just like in any relationship- if you have a problem, talk it out. If you miss each other, or you get jealous, it’s okay to voice that too. Do not keep your emotions bottled up.

2. However, keep in mind there is such a thing too much communication…

By all means, talk to each other often, but you don’t want to be too needy and possessive! That becomes annoying and can lead to issues. If you or your boyfriend is constantly depending on the other to be there at each beck and call, then perhaps there needs to be some soul searching. It is important to be independent and know yourself before committing to another, ESPECIALLY while being a collegiette.

3. Be honest and stay loyal to one another.

Speak your mind, talk about your feelings, and don’t keep secrets or tell lies. If you can’t stay loyal, why be in a relationship? Without loyalty, there is no trust. And with no trust, there are hundreds of problems.

4. Visit each other.

When you get the chance, and have the funds to do so, visit each other! It is surely the best part of long distance. Each moment you spend together is cherished even more. And after waiting so long to see one another, to hold hands, to kiss, etc… it feels like literal fireworks!

5. Countdowns!

With visits comes countdown calendars! You’ve bought a plane ticket, started mentally packing your suitcase (which will obviously be filled to the brim with everything you might need), and you absolutely can’t wait to see each other again! Setting a countdown calendar builds up excitement as the day gets closer and closer. I use the free app “Countdown!!” and currently, there are 30 days until I see my boyfriend again!

6. Snail-mail

Sure, it may take a few days to get there, but putting in the time to write a handwritten letter shows that you care! Write a letter, send a quick postcard from one of the shops downtown, buy each other gifts and send them for birthdays and holidays. Getting mail that’s not a bill or junk is a great feeling and it’s a thoughtful way to make your significant other’s day.

7. Spice it up!

Just because you are X miles away from each other doesn’t mean that you don’t get the same urges as everyone else! There will be plenty of sexual tension, so send flirty texts, talk dirty, and send a ~*ScAnDy*~ Snapchat, whatever it takes to keep the flames alive. Just double, maybe triple check that you’re sending it to the right person, because how embarrassing!

8. Use the time to learn more about yourself.

Even if your significant other is your best friend, it is important to know who you are as an individual. College is supposed to be the time of finding yourself, so take the time to enjoy the moments you have alone. You want to become independent of your man, yet still rely on each other for love and support.

9. Stay positive.

Yes, long distance sucks, but staying optimistic is a must. If you are constantly being negative about the distance, your negative attitude will begin to affect other aspects of your relationship and your life. Just stay positive and have some faith!

10. But also remember that it’s okay to cry sometimes.

You will be looking at old pictures, hear a song, be watching a movie, or doing any number of activities, and it will trigger a memory of you and your significant other. It will be sad, and there will be days you just can’t help but be sad and miss him, so go ahead and cry.

11. Don’t hold each other back.

Make sure you give each other the freedom to follow your dreams. The last thing you want is to resent each other because you didn’t get to do what you wanted in life!

12. At the end of the day, love each other unconditionally and always remember, that if it’s meant to be, it will be!

Hailey is a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and is pursuing a double major in marketing and international business, with a minor in fashion design merchandising. She is one of our Campus Correspondents here at Hawaii Her Campus and she's an active member of Alpha Gamma Delta. Hailey loves going to the beach with friends, hiking, and taking pictures!
Shiina LoSciuto is a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa studying journalism and communications. She someday hopes to be a TV talk show host, as well as become BFFs with Taylor Swift. In her free time she is taking naps or obsessing over the show Scandal.