You don’t know what you got till it’s gone. After 30 years of business, Bubbies on University Avenue is bidding farewell to its “cult-like following customer base.” Citing the end of its lease and the transition to a world leader in the manufacturers of mochi ice cream for its closure. If you want any of that mochi goodness, you can still find them for purchase in Whole Foods, Foodland, Safeway and at the Coffee Bean & Teaf Leaf. In addition, the Hawaii Kai location will remain open for business. Here are 12 memories everyone has from Bubbies:
12. Having tons of homework to do (that’s all due tomorrow) but deciding to go to Bubbies instead.
11. Standing in the mile long line.
10. Picking out three flavors of mochi.
9. Realizing that, actually, you want (and deserve) five flavors.
8. Not knowing which flavor is which after receiving your mochi.
7. Laughing at all the different cake names (multiple orgasms).
6. Realizing you don’t have cash, so you have to run to Nijiya Market to buy Hi-Chew just so you can get cash back.
5. Bringing all your mainland friends to try the best dessert on the land.
4. The sketchiest walk through lower-campus.
3. Not being able to find any seating after you order.
2. When Bubbies satisfied your late night cravings.
1. When your boyfriend or girlfriend broke up with you and you wanted to eat your feelings and weight in icecream.
Zac, we feel you SO hard right now.
Bubbies will always be our dearest friend, and we will never forget all our memories together. I think we speak for everyone when we say thank you.