20 Things I’ve Learned Before My 20th Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

In exactly one month, I will be 20 years old. On December 29, 2018, I will be one year away from the legal drinking age in this county and five years away from a quarter life crisis. So, in reality, being alive on Earth for two decades is actually anti-climactic, other than how the first number of your age now begins with a 2. To bring excitement to this joyous occasion, I’ve reflected upon the valuable life lessons I’ve learned so far. Here are twenty things that I have learned about life before turning 20.

1. My life will never be as perfect as my Pinterest account (but hey I’ll keep trying).

2. Loudly singing along to songs when you’re driving will make the traffic you’re stuck in move faster.

Photo Of Person Driving
Peter Fazekas / Pexels

3. Change is uncomfortable, yet necessary.

4. Spend as much time as you can with your family.

5. 15 minutes is the perfect amount for a power nap.

girl sleeping in black and white
Kinga Cichewicz

6. Speak up and be heard. Before it’s too late.

7. If life doesn’t go according to plan, the world will not end (even though it may feel like it will in the moment).

8. One person’s trash is another person’s treasure. Two words: thrift stores.

A picture of clothes on racks at a clothing store
Prudence Earl

9. Acknowledging that you’re procrastinating is the first step towards getting your sh*t done. Netflix will still be there once you finish your paper.

10. Sometimes you just need to put on some music in your room and dance it out.

11. Double-check what is allowed in your carry-on. It’s embarrassing when the TSA agent finds your glass jar of cookie butter that set off the x-ray machine’s hazard alarm.

Anete Lusina
Anete L?si?a / Unsplash

12. Take advantage of every opportunity life offers you.  

13. Fear is useless and temporary.

14. Pay attention to the little things.

Seaside
Fabian Wiktor / Pexels

15. You are what you do. Not what you say.

16. It feels refreshing to go on an adventure by yourself.

17. Compliment people and genuinely mean it.

Maria Scheller-Two Girls Friends Long Hair Blonde And Burnette Flower Mural
Maria Scheller / Her Campus

18. Tell your friends how much they mean to you.

19. There’s always room for boba tea.

20. Be stubborn about your goals, but flexible with your methods.

Avery Nueva is currently a candidate for a B.A. Communications degree at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. She is also pursuing a certificate in Travel Industry Management. Originally from Southern California, Avery has found a second home here at UH Manoa. In addition to being a Correspondent for Her Campus Hawaii, she served as the Vice President of Recruitment and President of the Panhellenic Council. She is a member of the Delta Sigma chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta and the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she is not out getting boba or sushi with friends, Avery loves to explore all that Hawaii has to offer.