food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

10 Movies That Make You Reevaluate Your Life 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

As the spring semester kicks into full swing at UH Mānoa, students are slowly but surely being hounded with ever-growing to-do lists for classes, extracurriculars, jobs, and social commitments. Frankly, there’s nothing like a good old-fashioned movie night to alleviate the crippling stress of college, so I’ve curated a list of must-watch films that are sure to leave a lasting impression on you. If you’re the type of person who likes to unwind with light-hearted comedies or action and adventure, then these options might not be your cup of tea. I absolutely love movies that take me on an emotional journey, inspire me to do a bit of self-reflection, and remind me to show more gratitude for the people in my life. Sit back, relax, and give this list just one chance—you can thank me later!

In no particular order, I present to you 10 of my all-time favorite movies. Disclaimer: tissues are not required, but highly recommended.

Forrest Gump

What better way to unwind after a long week of school, get some quote-worthy life advice, and learn about #Murica all at once than to watch the iconic Forrest Gump? Trick question—there is no better way. Leave it to Tom Hanks to capture everyone’s hearts as he plays a slower but incredibly sweet soul who lives without regret and handles all of life’s ups and downs with grace. His experiences offer a look at life in America, from the fixation on football to pop culture and significant historic events like Watergate and the Vietnam War. If you haven’t seen it yet, do yourself a favor and watch it ASAP!

Just Mercy

Michael B. Jordan. That is all. 

Okay, but in all seriousness, this 2019 film needs to be shared with and seen by people from all walks of life. Based on the death-row experiences of prisoners like Walter McMillian and Anthony Ray Hinton, Just Mercy highlights how discrimination and preconceived judgments on the basis of race have historically compromised the integrity of America’s justice system. It’s the perfect emotional rollercoaster and I’d definitely pay the hefty movie ticket fee again to see the masterpiece one more time in theaters. 

The Last Song

Mesmerizing instrumentals. Homey vibes of a small town. Summer flings that actually do mean a thing. A plot that makes you bawl your eyes out. Every. Single. Time. What more could you ask for in a movie? This 2010 film starring Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth is based on a Nicholas Sparks book of the same name, so you already know it’s going to be a good one. I could watch this movie over and over again, knowing exactly what will inevitably happen at the end, and the tears will still be streaming down my face while I have a silent meltdown in front of my laptop screen at 1:00 am. Spoiler alert: the most beautiful, poignant relationship in this story isn’t the one shared between Miley and Liam’s characters. Let’s just leave it at that. 

Unbroken

Whenever I feel unmotivated or overworked, movies like Unbroken offer a ton of inspiration and encouragement. This film follows the true story of Louie Zamperini, a remarkable man who conquered seemingly insurmountable obstacles and refused to let himself be defined by the misfortunes he experienced as a World War II prisoner of war. From shark attacks to severe malnourishment and relentless emotional abuse, this movie is not shy about portraying Louie’s journey of a lifetime. 11/10 would recommend. 

A Beautiful Mind

I watched this film for the first time in my junior year AP Psychology class. It’s beautiful and frustrating and heartbreaking all at once. Viewers get a glimpse into the internal battles of people living with schizophrenia, and the power of the mental disorder to affect (or consume) every relationship in the lives of those affected. This true story of John Nash, the late mathematical genius, deserves so much more attention in the media. 

Patch Adams

Over time, people have come to realize that great grades alone do not make a great doctor. A physician’s bedside manner and passion for service are just as—if not more—important than intelligence in successfully treating patients. This comedy-drama effortlessly portrays the struggles and triumphs of real-life physician Patch Adams and encourages people to see patient-care in a new light. With lighthearted scenes, a killer plot twist, and the pure brilliance that is Robin Williams, you really can’t go wrong with this one.    

A Walk to Remember

This is the one and only time I’ve ever loved a movie adaptation more than the original text. Shane West and Mandy Moore take the typical “opposites attract” trope and make it a hundred times better to tell a beautiful story about the transformative power of love and faith. I’m 99.9% sure that you’ll be ugly crying when you figure out the true meaning behind the title. 

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Not to be dramatic or anything, but I was a wreck the first time I watched this movie on Netflix…and the second time…and the third. A historical fiction film set during the Holocaust of World War II, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a powerful testament to childhood innocence and the compassionate, kindhearted nature of humans whose hearts have yet to be tainted by hatred. Is it difficult to watch? Yes. Is it worth every emotional breakdown? Yes. 

Thirteen

Considering the title of the movie, it can be hard to wrap your head around half the things that the young protagonists do. Unapologetically true to the teenage struggle, the hard-hitting film explores the temptations of drugs, sex, and alcohol that so many teens face as they attempt to find their place in the world. Again, it can be difficult to watch certain parts, but do your best to relish the discomfort—the unfiltered material was meant to raise more awareness about mental, emotional, and physical health for teens.   

The Truman Show

Finally—a movie that (probably) won’t make you cry! Vulnerability is already a difficult thing for many people to embrace. Imagine how you’d feel if you discovered that your entire life was basically a lie being showcased to the entire world at all hours of the day. This is exactly what happens to Truman (played by the one and only Jim Carrey), who realizes just how invasive technology and the media can be. The movie is especially interesting to watch, given how far we’ve come in this day and age. 

Congratulations on making it to the end of the list! Remember to have your tissue box(es) out and ready to go before you press play. Happy watching! 

Cassidy is a first-year student pursuing a bachelor's degree in Molecular Cell Biology and minoring in Public Health at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa. A lover of all things yellow, she is an aspiring physician with a strong interest in women's health, the socioeconomic determinants of health, and dystopian literature. Her idea of a perfect day involves hitting the gym for an early morning workout, listening to her favorite songs, watching the sunset at Waimea Bay, and enjoying quality time with friends and family.
Hawaii Contributor Account